Majesty tank/seat unit question

gig755

Hello,

I've owed a modern trials bike for a few years now, but just recently got bitten by the "Twin Shock" bug. I bought a '76 TY175, and the stock tank is dented and has a lot of rust inside, so I was thinking about purchasing a fiberglass tank to replace it with. I've seen the tank/seat unit that Sammy Miller sells, but I was wanting something a little different. So, my question is; can anyone tell me if the tank/seat unit that Yamaha-Majesty.com sells to fit the Mini Majesty and 200 Majesty frames, will fit a production model frame? I have the tools and abilty to modify the frame if need be.

copyofmajesty20tankseat.jpg

1004767y.jpg

Thanks,

Gary

Hello,

I've owed a modern trials bike for a few years now, but just recently got bitten by the "Twin Shock" bug. I bought a '76 TY175, and the stock tank is dented and has a lot of rust inside, so I was thinking about purchasing a fiberglass tank to replace it with. I've seen the tank/seat unit that Sammy Miller sells, but I was wanting something a little different. So, my question is; can anyone tell me if the tank/seat unit that Yamaha-Majesty.com sells to fit the Mini Majesty and 200 Majesty frames, will fit a production model frame? I have the tools and abilty to modify the frame if need be.

copyofmajesty20tankseat.jpg

1004767y.jpg

Thanks,

Gary

Hi Gary

This type of seat/tank unit will not fit on the standard frame, the seat section of the frame is to wide, a tank unit on its own is the better option if you want a Majesty style, a Sammy Miller unit will bolt straight on. something else to consider is the amount of ethanol in the petrol being used which will melt the fibreglass from the inside.

something else to consider is the amount of ethanol in the petrol being used which will melt the fibreglass from the inside.

what stmdabber said! :agreed: If you go with fiberglass do your self a big favor and don't put anything but AvGas (LL100) in it. U.S. pump gas will clog my pilot jets and gum the slide so bad it will stick within a week. I have had the AvGas in two TY's for six months now with no problems.

stmdabber and kanur,

Thanks for the replys, and mentioning about the fuel and fiberglass problems. I have 10 bikes that I either ride or race, so I've become all too familiar with the issues with Ethanol fuel clogging jets and/or eating the fiberglass tank. The two local airports in my area require you to show proof of ownership of an airplane before they will sell you aviation fuel, so since I don't any airplanes lying around, I started using Sunoco Racing fuel in all of my bikes, and have not had any problems since. It's pretty expensive (over $6.00 a gallon), but it sure does beat tearing a carburetor apart to clean it everytime you want to go riding. I have 3 Pentons that I race, and even though I now use race fuel exclusively, just to be safe I coated the inside of the fiberglass tanks with POR15, and have not had any problems with the them leaking.

Regards,

Gary

"Over" $8 a gallon is what I wrote as I was avoiding writing what's below!!

Over, as in more, above, higher.

Unleaded is £1.39 locally.

£1.39 X 3.8 (3.8 litres in US Gallon) equals £5.28.

Based on £1 equaling $1.55 and a bit (http://www.dollars2pounds.com/)

£5.28 is 8.21 US Dollars.

$8.21 is, if I'm still on earth and not some twin planet where everything is backward over $8

At £1.35 it's slightly less than $8 a US gallon, but we're not here to split hairs.

The point was, $6 a gallon (even a US gallon) for AV "gas" wouldn't be considered expensive this side of the Atlantic, in fact we'd all be around the local airport filling our cars up!

Edited by Goudrons

The point was, $6 a gallon (even a US gallon) for AV "gas" wouldn't be considered expensive this side of the Atlantic, in fact we'd all be around the local airport filling our cars up!

Before someone corrects me, the above statement should have read

"....around the local airport filling our non compression ignition engined cars up"

I would want anybody to try running their Rudolf on AV gas or even petrol.

Edited by Goudrons

Dont forget to add the cost of two stroke oil as well (if not a fourstroke) I once did a Sammy Miller trial that was 40 miles around, i rode my ossa twinshock around so carefully because i only had the tank full with me 4.5ltrs, when i got back home i measured what was left in 0.5ltr so i got 45miles per gallon. try getting that out of a gas gas/beta. i tell my wife the bike is cheep to run!