Bit of advice please

lewisallen

On a smaller capacity you will always want more power on those long hill climbs. I have a 250 and sometimes want more :D

The reality is that the smaller capacities are much easier to learn on. Its all about learning throttle control when you're new to trials motorcycles and although you may not look as cool on a 125 it will be much more forgiving.

Cheers

Also, in regard to the trailer i have a 6x4 box trailer that i use for day trips. The bike is too long for the trailer so i have to mount it in the trailer on an angle.

I also have a camper trailer that i use for weekend trials. I have the bike mounted across the drawbar:

bikerack4.jpg

cheers

Hey lewisallen - you'll get lots of good advice here (often differing...) but the general consensus is that 280/300's can be a bit of handful for a first time bike - best advice I've heard recently is that whatever you buy now, you'll be looking to upgrade as you get the hang of things so buying a first bike that's popular from a resale/trade in perspective has merits - That would point to a 250.

Welcome and have fun

:icon_rendeer: :icon_rendeer:

Edited by paulmac

I'd say it entirely depends on what you want to do. If you just want to ride around with some mates and go up and down things, pull some wheelies and do some stoppies you'd probably be fine with either of the bigger capacity bikes, although the GasGas 280 has a reputation for being quite a handful I think. If you want to get quite technical with your skills, join a club and start doing some competitions you'd be better off to go for a 125. Either of the 2 you mention, if in decent condition, will have plenty enough power to get you into all sorts of predicaments. If you're still not convinced have a look on YouTube for some Youth Trials clips - they are all on 125s...

Quick random

Most people seem to have this big idea that they need lots of power and that a 125/200 is not enough for them.Truth is 99% of riders are better off with less power,esp when its wet.Generally a nice soft engine that runs cleanly will be a better friend than a zappy 250/300 that puts you on the brakes all the time.

cheers for the advice guys, went and looked at the 2002 gasgas 280 txt and the 280 txt pro and a sherco 125, test rode the gassers.... fell in love straight away, i no its a bit of a risk to go straight into the bigger bike but i one of these annoying people that can adapt pretty quickly to anything, was already popping wheelies and endos and few hops on the test ride 2day, putting the deposit down tomorrow for it and possibly get it just after xmas when i have so extra money as its

Lewis, you came to the right place. I can tell you that after 30 years of Hiatus, I came back to riding off road trials. Before a choice was made for a trials bike, it was recommended to me by my friend, that a 250 Sherco would be the right size to start off with. He, Bill Mathewson the God father of U.S. Trials, told me that a 250 would be more tractable in the bog. Thank God I did not buy a 290. I took his advice 2 years ago and have never looked back. In fact, the first thing I added to the bike after riding it was, a slow throttle. Later, he suggested a 10 tooth sprocket, this was good advice. I use to weigh 125, 30 years ago, but now I weigh 185. I always rode a 125 back then, but now with the years, and additional weight, it's nice to have the motor work for you instead of the body language that was reaquired back then. I hope this is a helpful guide in: age, horsepower, and ability, in helping you to decide which bike is right for you.

Try angle towards a japanese made bike,if you chose well a year down the line your wallet will thank you!

I'd reckon those white stripes on your bright red car must mean a 250cc+ would be no challenge?

Seriously though, if you have 1000 to spend get whatever is the best maintained. Tight foot pegs, levers etc are a good sign - they must function well though and move propoerly in the directions required!

Good tyres? Chain and sprox ok? Try pulling the chain off the rear sprocket at the 3 O clock position. If there is significant movement here ask for some money off as C&S a definite.

Above all enjoy it and welcome to the club! You will soon be after an Ossa 280i. :thumbup: