Best Tyres?

jools

Aup, I was wonderin what tyres are best? I found with Michelin they get slashed dead easy, but i heard off people that Dunlops with doing lots of road work the tread falls off!? ;)

I'm doing the Novogar championship this year and I seem to be annihilating tyres after every one. At the mo i'm running Michelin on the pack and around 3 - 4 PSI.

I'm fed up of riding round on slick tyres, :( Can anyone suggest what to use or what presure to run?

tar.

Best thing is get a spare wheel and save your tyres for events.

Also this will allow you to try two tyres side by side on the same section on the same day.

I think the consensus is that in muddy trials IRC are best and dry grippy stuff its a Michelin, as for imbetween try it yourself!

i agree with,dabster,IRC'S are the cream of tyres,my son rides youth british championship trials,we use new one's for these events,keep the worn ones for local trials.every one you talk to about tyres,they always say"you can't beet an IRC"very true.you'll say diffrent,if sponsored by other brands. :(

I find the Michelins to be the best tyres, I've always had a Michelin on my bike and had good grip in muddy conditions and they have always lasted ages. I recently changed to a pirelli and have to say its the worst tyre i've ever used, and it hasn't lasted anywhere near as long as the Michelins in the same conditions. When my bike is fixed im going straght back to Michelins :(

The area where I usually take my bike (Gilling West) is usually quite muddy and wet and has a large stream there also, no I haven't tried an IRC but with all of the good comments about them in this post I think I might have to give one a try

Personally I think there are only 3 tyres worth using, IRC, Michelin and Dunlop. They all have there own advantages/ disadvantages . IRC are good in the mud but come off the rim easily, if you get a puncher .

Michelin and Dunlop are good allround, and Dunlop will NEVER come off the rim when flat (well almost never, I ran a stage of the Scott with a flat and it stayed on rim) So if your doing Novogar rounds I reckon go Dunlop. Or just buy a 4RT and grip wont be a prob so you can use 1 tyre all year!

IRC were the best thing to have about 3 years ago when they were dirt cheap but now they've bumped up the price :(

We ride a lot of rocks down here so I'd go for a Michelin every time an IRC wouldn't last to minutes ;)

I'm not a great fan of dunlopes but if I had a lot of road work to do thats what i'd go for.

Interesting to see the different opinions on rear tyres.

We've used IRC rears in the Midlands for 7 or 8 years now. Mick Andrews told us to try them when they first appeared. I figured if they are good enough for him..... No-one else would use them as they were considered odd-ball, or many people just hadn't heard about them. Others just said 'wouldn't use those. they're crap'. I remember buying a '98 315 from BVM when they came out in late '97 and trying to haggle with Mr Kemp for a spare tyre. He said what do you want and I said IRC. He said we don't have those things. I asked why and he said because Steve Saunders says they're crap.... I doubt Steve said any such thing but that was what was thought of them generally back then. Things have changed a bit now though, they're quite common.

My personal opinion is that they are a far better tyre in mud than a Michelin. I've no experience of a Dunlop as I have never used one - they wear out too quick.

On rocks I would say the IRC is the equal of anything else, if any of them have an advantage over each other it is probably too close to worry about.

Where the IRC really scores though is its wear rate. They are incredibly durable. I had one on my TYZ for the Lakes 2 day last year which subsequently did a good few club and centre trials and the edge is hardly worn. Recently bought a new GasGas and rode it with the Michelin and after only 3 muddy club trials it had noticeably more wear than the IRC.

And even when the IRC loses its edge, somehow they continue to find grip in mud like nothing else.

OAS - can't see how you figure they don't last on rocks. It is by far the best at surviving rocks and road use. I have started the SSDT with a used one and it has lasted all week, not shedded any knobbles and not needed to be turned. A new Michelin or Dunlop would be gone after a couple of days.

This is just a personal opinion and I'm not the type to say - I use it so it is the best. It's just an opinion based on the experience I have from using Michelin and IRC tyres in the past.

I've just sold the GasGas and the TYZ and bought a 4RT. An IRC went straight on before it even turned a wheel.

OAS - can't see how you figure they don't last on rocks. It is by far the best at surviving rocks and road use. I have started the SSDT with a used one and it has lasted all week, not shedded any knobbles and not needed to be turned. A new Michelin or Dunlop would be gone after a couple of days.

I've just sold the GasGas and the TYZ and bought a 4RT. An IRC went straight on before it even turned a wheel.

Humm don't know maybe it's just me :(

anyway IRC or Michelin both are a good bet

I'm currently using my first IRC. I'm impressed- did the Cleveland and the Ilkley Grand National on it and to be honest, the edge is hardly worn - certainly good for another few trials.

It is the wear rate I've been most impressed with, it's hard to be objective re grip without doing side-by side test, but I certainly haven't noticed any adverse difference compared to Michelin.

I've used only two brand's of rear, Michelin's and IRC's. I would say, for most riders, you won't tell the differance between the two as long as you've got the pressure right etc. However, as has been said, an IRC last's and last's.

Read this post. :(