Best Tyres?

jools

I have been using IRC tyres, having swapped from Michellin X11. I think the IRC's are the best tyres I have used in terms of grip and wear. I have recommended them to others who have been equally impressed.

I've used Michelin and IRC for 10 years. Like some others said, each has its strengths. But they are VERY close in performance. The big difference is that I have severly gashed (ruined) several Michelins and no IRCs. The IRCs do last longer as far as tread life, but the main thing for me is the greater cut resistance. I can tell you that it is a big disappointment to shell out for a new tire and end up with a 1 inch cut in the sidewall a few weeks later. IRCs also tend to be about 20% cheaper in the US.

Bottom line- if you ride where you are likely to gash sidewalls, IRCs are a good choice. If you need to ride with flats maybe the Dunlop. If you ride big rocks then the Michelin. Kind of like bikes. Each has its strengths and anybody who tells you one is the best is really just giving his opinion. :(

• 2 weeks later...

When I got my Beta it needed both tyres replacing, I looked around and listened to advise, I ended up with a Michelin front and IRC rear, no signs of wear after several events on either...

My Dad uses Dunlops on his Tiger Cub, they last ok, but they do tend to start cracking round the blocks when used on the road between sections.

The IRCs do last longer as far as tread life, but the main thing for me is the greater cut resistance. I can tell you that it is a big disappointment to shell out for a new tire and end up with a 1 inch cut in the sidewall a few weeks later.

Bottom line- if you ride where you are likely to gash sidewalls, IRCs are a good choice.

I've always had Michelin's then tried an IRC. The grip did feel better, but my problem seemed to be punctures with the IRC - 3 punctures in 5 weeks. I never had a puncture on the X11.

I actually enjoyed destroying the IRC riding it flat for the last 6-8 miles of the Lomax. Then bought another X11.

Having said that, it looks like you've seen the opposite. I'll maybe try another one when this X11's dead (probably after the Chris Carter this weekend :rolleyes: