sherco 290 09 buying?and taming

mill9898

Many like the Boyesen reeds as well. The things are not all that big and bad to ride, yet they do have a lot of torque that comes in quickly. This can make a rider work harder than he needs to, and tire him, thus a downward spiral on keeping up with the bike. Making the bike gentile is good, but not near as important as proper clutch usage to control power application! You can rev the crap out of it, but if you ride up a gear or two in practice and learn to apply power and feel for grip using the clutch, you will become more comfortable as well. Eliminate the jerky work! Just m2c! :thumbup:

Edited by copemech

I bought an 05 290 not long after I started trials and it was way too much for me. Ended up with the ignition retarded well back and a slow action throttle. If you looking to buy one the make it less aggresive I would look elsewhere. Often less is more especially in trials. Best thging I did was selling it, nothing wrong with the bike it was just way beyond my ability.

Cheers Scragg

I don't mean to be contrary but...I'm no expert and I've got a 290.

It has a carb' spacer, retarded timing+ boysen reeds which makes it a big softie...if I lend my bike to an expert they can't wait to hand it back saying that it's ''gutless'' :unsure:

I find my 250 very snappy and often results in wheel spin in loose/slippery terrain unless I feather the clutch. I have not ridden a 290 but I rode a 300 gas gas recently which I felt was very underwhelmed down low. Felt like an effort to hop over stuff but I'm sure would have been great in slippery stuff.

250's are scarce here, thus the 290's being more available. My '05 250 was still quite sharp, yet with minor tweaks to the same extent as a 2.9, (timing and reeds) it quickly became my fav.

None are the torque pig of a gasser 300, but if you learn to ride up to second gear and use the clutch properly to find traction and keep them out or the jerky range riding no clutch, they are fine and will respond at a whim! Still have the big hit when needed in the mid revs. :thumbup:

I bought a new 290 Access in the end of 2009, I had a TY250 mono and a 02 250 Sherco before....

I tried a lot to get the 290 softer, I changed the Caburator from Flat to Normal, fitted a slow domino, but that was not my bike to much power, too angry... I sold it a year later and went to twinshock...

In 2012 I will try again with modern Trials, I will buy a Sherco 200....

For you, look after a 250, wait some days more ore drive a few miles more and you will have much more fun with a smooth riding bike....

• 3 weeks later...

What's the point in getting a 290 and taming it down, just buy a 250. Simples

I love my sherco, but my next bike will probably be a Gasser, simply because I think I would ride beter on a 250. and you don't see very many Shercos in this capacity, and I really can't be bothered with a left kicker. So gasser it will probably be. Though this may be not be for a while yet as i have the 290 pretty spot on now. Loves it B)

Just like to add the info supplied by copemech and others on here has been invaluable and spot on. Thanks

Edited by Drake