Blue Exaust Pipe

robbybobby

08 290. It was a couple club guys that said thats what it might be. Never thought to ask how to adjust it at the time. Im injured plus the weathers been kinda ***** so i haven't been to CPTA in a while and figured id ask on here (mostly out of boredom and the need to feel im part of the online community)

If the pipe is blue, It will be running way to lean, The engine and exhaust will be getting to hot and It will be having to work to hard.

You need to richen it up

If it's a Keihin carb the air/mixture screw is near the bottom on the side & you turn it in to richen.

If it's a Dellorto (which it probably will be) I'd imagine the screw is the smaller one on the picture. Not sure if it's an air screw or mixture though.

post-6577-0-37889700-1327862351.png

Edited by BenBeta23

Just a thought on this, but if it's been retarded wont that also make the pipe hot?

Yes it will, and I was just going to suggest that.

Wonder if he knows where the timing is set, as many were set back to settle the bike a bit, but this tac come up specially is set back a bit too far! :rolleyes:

I dunno where the timing is set aside from the retarder switch.

Best speak with the original owner for any info if you can. Otherwise it may need an inspection just to see where things are at. The "retard switch" on the bars only effects high rpm advance curve basically, and most riders cannot tell a difference, as this does not seem to effect base timing, yet base timing has a wide range of adjustment. Personally, I would remove it, but that is up to you.

I have found that setting them back too far in an effort to settle the bike can do this. The good range is fairly narrow it seems, with 5-6mm rotation(counter, and roughly equate to degrees of timing BTDC) of the stator plate from factory settings being the maximum allowable without other ill effects such as this. The mid setting would be in the mid, at 3mm for example, and is where mine is now. :thumbup:

mine went bluey purple right before my stator threw its hand in.... timing was set up ok, around tdc... bike began running mega hot, exhaust started to get so hot it almost metled the pastic trim on the silencer and discoloured the plasctic of the rear mud gaurd........ mega hot. pretty soon after the stator threw its hand in.

timing or stator related....