Txt280 '05 Bad Assembly/quality

thomas

Good un Jenks :rolleyes: Its simple, if you dont look after modern trials bikes, they will play up. But if straight away from brand new it was crap, i would take it back to the dealer and wouldnt want it back till it was sorted.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You should have bought on in the early '90s, that would have really made your blood boil :rolleyes:

No grease....ANYWHERE

Virtually all fasteners not tightened at the factory

No seals on suspension linkage bearings, think twice before riding in mud or water!

No loctite

No nyloc nuts, so everything was loose after half an hour, including the sump guard which then caused the frame to snap!

Cracked wheel rims

Paint that fell off if you looked at it

Main bearings turning in the crankcases

You lot don't know how lucky you are! :(

see where your coming from, didn't mean you would literally be stupid, meant as a figure of speach. sorry if i offended.

I've had 3 brand new Pro's all of which have had a few niggling probs but Gas Gas Uk have always being good to me and as a result i will continue buying their bikes as they are simply awesome to ride.

Okay, no worries jenkinsm :rolleyes:

Well as I have writen I like to ride the GasGas, so that is what I will focus on now. I have got my frustration out now :(

I am moving form Denmark to UK (Burmingham) in Juli, so maybe I will meat some of your guys out there on some track!

Is there any of you that know good places to drive trial nearby Wolverhampton?

From Jenkism poll "Which Bikes are the worst", the result is that a bit more than 33% of all trial ryders have had major problems with their new GasGas. This is the higest fault rate of all bikes :unsure: !!!

I don't think it is a coincedent that I have had major problems with two new GasGas, even though that this poll has a limited number of anwsers.

See you out there on the tracks :D

Edited by Thomas

I'm curious Thomas, what problems did you have with your EC250?

The problems with the EC250 was:

- The gearbox was making noise when it got worm. The dealer took it bach but didn't find any reason. We agreed to try to see if it was a question of braking in. After 10 hours driving it was okay.

- The airfilter cover was to big and so sharp, that it was cutting a hole in the suction (between carburetor and airbox). I fixed it by cutting a piece of plastic of the cover. Then it was okay.

- The same airfilter cover had a problem with the clip-on closing. I had to use strips (plastic tightening) to keep it closed.

- After 1 hour of driving there came water out of the top of the cylinder. It turned out that 2 screws was not tightened.

Beside that the smaller things like, loose springs, electircs not working and other loose stuff.

Thomas, those things again sound more like poor PDI. Pretty minor stuff I figure. Every manufacturer has some little issues, some more serious than others, but details like those (aside from the transmission noises) seem pretty trivial (no offence intended).

Even the touted quality leaders Honda have issues like 2002-2003 Honda CRs, with airboxes that didn't seal and sucked dirt into the motor the first sign of dust/mud, seizing the motor...remember not warranty, competition motorcycle. That's a QC matter worth worrying about. :unsure:

I think you'll find your Pro to be like your EC, once you get it all sorted and setup to your liking, you'll get great service and be glad you held out for the ride performance.

I tend to agree with you. The problems with the EC250 were solved without using so many hours of work. With the Pro I have used a bundle of hours.

Now I have driven some hours on the Pro and have two issues to resolve.

- The motor gives a metallic sound when I use higher rpm shortly. I have got some advice about this problem in the technical part of the forum. I will first try a higher octane fuel, secondary I will raise the needle in the carburator.

- Another thing is that the clutch some times makes noises (it is not gliding in the clutch). Is that normal?

Beside the problems I really like to drive the bike. It is impressing light and very easy to through around.

Thomas, the clutch rattle is normal with the clutch disengaged. It's the design of the clutch as the actuating finger float freely.

On the knock sound...are you speaking about a knock when the throttle is snapped shut after higher revs? If so, it is most likely a lean pilot jet. This is common for this part of the world anyways.

glad your getting on with the bike, are a dream to ride. As for the nocking dont bother with high octane fuel, Who eva suggested that should get a slap!!!!! dont alter the needle jet either as they come with the right settings. (Unless the factory got it wrong)

Have a play with the mixture screw and if it aint beta ask your dealer cos as my m8 found out messin with the carb settings only causes more trouble.

Also check you can blow down the fuel pipe ok and clean the little filter on the carb as they often have alot of residue in after a few weeks use. Usually flakes of aluminum out of tank.

Hope you sort it out. :unsure:

Thomas, the clutch rattle is normal with the clutch disengaged.  It's the design of the clutch as the actuating finger float freely.

On the knock sound...are you speaking about a knock when the throttle is snapped shut after higher revs?  If so, it is most likely a lean pilot jet.  This is common for this part of the world anyways.

The clutch makes sounds when it is engaged, typically when I am going slowly up a steep hill.

The knock came when the throttle was snapped shut after higher revs.

Yesterday I was out driven, and the metallic sounds didn't come. So it is likely that it has to do with the supply of fuel as Jenkism suggested.

An interesting thing on the GasGas is the Gear ratio. I use 1 gear a lot on the GasGas, where I used to use 2 gear. It is like the first gear is lying in between a typical 1 and 2 gear on a trial, it suits me well. Going up a steep hill and passing over a steep rock it does superb.

glad your getting on with the bike, are a dream to ride. As for the nocking dont bother with high octane fuel, Who eva suggested that should get a slap!!!!! dont alter the needle jet either as they come with the right settings. (Unless the factory got it wrong)

Gotta disagree with you on that one. OK, it's not a Gasser but I had a very bad knock on my Rev-3. Setting up the carb according to Mikuni's own tuning manual made absolutely no difference. Switching to super unleaded improved things a little bit but didn't cure it completely. What finally sorted it was going up one size on the pilot jet. Simple as that.

Factory carb setup will only ever be a compromise. To say that the factory settings should work for everyone, anywhere, regardless of altitude and pervasive relative humidity etc. is simply wrong. It's exactly the same with the suspension settings: What works for a skinny 10 stone rock-hopping Spanish test rider is unlikely to work for a 17 stone mudplugging Yorkshireman!