2011 280cc As Lively As I Keep Reading? Gas Gas Newbie....

bigman

Hi, anybody fancy helping a newbie out? i recently went from an o5 250 pro to a 2011 280 which already has a fly wheel weight, really wanted a 250 but it was goin cheap and i couldnt say no. the bike feels really good and i'm getting on with it but it feels a little bit too powerfull, i can manage but im very aware its a 280, can any of you guys advise on how i could tame it down a bit, have read about the reed block spacers, head spacers & slow action throttles but would like to know how much each option will effect it before i decided which route to take.

Cheers.

I'm trying to link these subjects together here:

In the past,I have tried 4 or 5 280 Gassers (2004/2005/2006/2010?) when I was in the market for a new bike and they were all too 'snatchy' when compared to a 250 or a 300 even!

They rev up very quickly just above idle and deliver very dramatic power (which is tiring) .

I have seen ,first hand, a rider of the same ability/age as me (Mr. average) trying to calm a 280 Pro when he moved on from a 250...to no avail. Only drastically changing the sprockets helped but left undesired engine characteristics.

There always appears to be more 280s on the second hand market than 250s and the 280s seem to be lower in price (market forces at work?).

Anyhow...this is the question I have always pondered:-

Has anyone tried a smaller diameter carb on a 280 to slow the incoming air volume at wider throttle openings?i.e a 24mm instead of the 26 or 28mm standard carbs?

Wayne

Edited by ham2

The 2011 has a 2 pc head. It is made to made to provide for adjustable compression. In your case, you can remove the std insert and replace it with a low compression version. That will make the bike smoother and slower reving in the mid range. Will also be easier to start and run OK on lower octane fuel. I suggest a black tube throttle as well if you don't already have one. (Actually the 1st thing to do.)

Hi I have a 2011 280 raga which I fitted a low compression cylinder head, slow action throttle and flywheel weight when I first got it. These changes mellowed the power, as I got used to the bike I changed to a slow to fast cam throttle and then later put the standard head insert back in so could recommend these changes. Cheers

I'm trying to link these subjects together here:

In the past,I have tried 4 or 5 280 Gassers (2004/2005/2006/2010?) when I was in the market for a new bike and they were all too 'snatchy' when compared to a 250 or a 300 even!

They rev up very quickly just above idle and delivery very dramatic power (which is tiring) .

I have seen ,first hand, a rider of the same ability/age as me (Mr. average) trying to calm a 280 Pro when he moved on from a 250...to no avail. Only drastically changing the sprockets helped but left undesired engine characteristics.

There always appears to be more 280s on the second hand market than 250s and the 280s seem to be lower in price (market forces at work?).

Anyhow...this is the question I have always pondered:-

Has anyone tried a smaller diameter carb on a 280 to slow the incoming air volume at wider throttle openings?i.e a 24mm instead of the 26 or 28mm standard carbs?

Wayne

In a way this is no different than trying to detune a 2.9 Sherco, Wayne. I do not think them that bad nowadays actually, not like the '03 bike persay, which was very peppy.

In answer to your question, and having run the 24mm carb on the bike for a while now, it seems to me that the smaller carb is only marginally more gentile, as one is actually opening a smaller hole with a given amount of throttle.

Now this may indeed limit the top end power limits, but in the mid range of things where most of us mere mortals find our limits, well, they will still put you on your ass!

The decieving thing about the big 300 bikes, being docile on the bottom end of things, is the fact that it seems they can rip your arms off if you get into the mids and better. Do not be fooled , they can be brutal!

I've a 2011 280 Gasser, which followed a 250 (one of several I've had) and also a 300 before that. I have to say its the bike I get on with the best.

Plenty of power if you need it, but can also be soft and controllable, I don;t think I've once had a probelm with too much power. What I felt the last 250 lacked was a bit of grunt and I never got on with it, it was an '09.

A friend of mine has a 2011 250 and loves it, for me I would now always give a 280 a decent try. And I've left it totally standard, beofe tweaking anything I w2anted to give it a good try and actually found it great and I got on with it straight away. Not always necessary to make drastic changes,

:)

Having ridden all 3 (250, 280 and 300) and owned a 250 and 300, I have to say that the 280 is the most snatchy to ride. In my experience, the 300 is the smoothest (I currently have a 300 Raga - with a Dellorto carb).

I would put the order of smoothness as:

Of course this is only my opinion, I'm sure others would disagree.

Get yourself to the next GG open day and try them all out! Thats what made me go 300!

Cheers,

Wayne.

I'll have to agree with Wayne, this has been my 250/280/300 experience also. I ride a modified 280, but if I was going to buy a newer model, I'd opt for the 300.

I like the 250 but would miss the extra oomph the 300 has in reserve for those special occassions when it comes in handy. I spend most of my time in the lower

RPMs, where a well-tuned (that's the key) 300 is easy for me to handle and actually feels softer.

Jon

I've rode all cc's of Gas Gas' at expert level for many years. My 2004 280 was by far the hardest to ride, especially in wet conditions. You have to really be on the ball with your throttle and clutch control. The one thing that many people who ride 280's say, is that the back wheel spins so easily. Open it up in 4th/5th gear and you'll see just how much poke those engines have. Surprisingly, the 300 is a different kettle of fish all together - much smoother and rideable.

When my 280's gearbox when wrong, I pulled my old 200 out of the garage and couldn't believe how much easier it was to ride. This was what made me change from a 'big' bike to making a 225 with the 250 S3 barrel. I've been riding it for a year now and it is awesome, so much easier and pliable!

Unless you ride trials where you have to blast up significantly large hills, or you're Adam Raga....a 250 is the max amount of power 'MOST' club riders will ever need. Anything more and you're just making the job harder for yourself. The amount of novice riders I see on 280's is unreal. Back wheel spinning all the time, bike lurching away from them....would be better off on a 125!

Don't get me wrong, I liked my 280. As 'cubby' said, there is always the power there when you need it, and in the right hands they are still a very competetive bike. However, I'd 100% agree that 200's, 225's or 250's are the best tools - depending on what you feel rides best for you ;)

Hope this helps :)

Edited by byr_225