Best Place For Parts And What Happend

haggi961

Having a bit of bad look with the trials bike on the weekend which lead to my chain and wheel nearly falling off and me cutting my chin up with a thorn bush lol. I have lost the rear wheel nut, washer, one of my snail cams and i don't think my spindle threads are in a good shape. Also a wheel bearing has fallen out. I still cant figure out what happened. The night before i checked over the hole bike making sure every nut and bolt were tight and it was 100% ready for the trial. I got half way through the trial and i could here a knocking noise coming from the chain and i thought there must be some grit or a pebble stuck in the sprockets as i couldn't see anything wrong with the chain tension or sprockets. The noise started to get worse so i thought i better ride it back to car park area and have a look and if anything serious then i would retire. Just as i was getting back to the car park area the noise went, so i had a good play around on the bike changing through the gears just to be double sure it had gone. All was fine. I finished of the trial as there was still a few more sections i had to do and the bike flew through them all fine. On the way back to the carpark my chain flew off, slipped it back on and i rode it very slowly in first gear all the way back. It then comes off again as i just get to the trailer so i have another good luck and now can see the nut, washer etc etc all missing. What caused the nut to come lose as it was a brand new nut that i fitted a couple weeks ago and everything was tight the night before. My idea is the bearing must of went and then came lose causing the wheel to wobble and lose all the parts. Thanks for any help.

Did you or a previous owner replace the wheel bearings? This sounds like what happens when bearings are replaced with the center spacer (tube that fits between the inner races of the bearings) left out. If the spacer is left out you can tighten up the axle and everything seems fine but the side loading on the bearings causes a quick and usually catastrophic failure and the whole hub assembly can be destroyed.

sounds like as above no spacer in the wheel hub. i'm all for on line sales sites etc but if you want the stuff betauk ALWAYS get my vote.

off the shlf all you need are a hub spacer and a new axle, get the bearing and snail cam from a generic online supplier ( trialsbits always next day in my experince) make the call now and i bet you ll be riding weds tea time..

Edited by totalshell

Bearings didn't get changed by me so they must of been done by the previous person. I also forgot to put that i have done a another trial before this one and also been messing around in the woods and didn't have any problems. On closer inspection tonight it looks like i still have the spacer in the wheel just don't seem to be sitting inside the wheel, so the bearings might still be in the wheel. I really need to strip it down and have a look to see whats there.

Right Ive just pulled the wheel off and this is what i have found. The inner spacer looks like its decided to destroy itself then one of the bearings has also been destroyed in the process, the other bearing on the other side is still intact and looks in good condition, i think all i need to buy is new bearings, inner spacer, washer, snail cam, nut as the inside of the hub looks perfect and doesn't seem to be any damage thank god. All there is left inside is the remains of the inner spacer that need to be braid out. Both of my outer 2 spacer are still there so i did fit it all correct. Why do you think the inner spacer has decided to do this? I'm also going to replace the front wheel with new stuff as i don't want this to happen again. Do you think the spindle threads look ok or should i buy new also?

IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1685.jpg

IMG_1688.jpg

I would also like to put that there was no play in the bearings and the wheel was solid as a rock before all this happened.

No play as it was most likely seized. Need to remove wheel and turn bearings with fingers as they will turn and seem ok on the wheel, yet be shot.

I seem to get 6 months tops out of bearings due to jet washing. However I have removed the seal and replaced it so will clean n regrease

Thanks for the replies back guys. Just a few things that are confusing me. When i get a new inner spacer does this sit flush in the hub or is there a gap all way around it as i cant work out how the bearings have made there way into the spacer if its a flush fit. By looking at the picture ive posted up is there still spacer left inside the hub or have the bearings destroyed the hub also. Im just a bit worried that i have to buy a new hub and then get it rebuilt up as cost like this now i dont want :( Has anyone got a picture of the inside of the hub/spacer as ive had a good look around for pictures and haven't really found much on it.

Basically the bearings sit flush in the hub and the spacer should be an exact fit between the inner races. The spacer is really just a bare tube. I haven't had the wheel apart on a Beta in a long time but I don't remember it looking like what you found. It almost looks like what was in your wheel was some random piece of tubing just stuffed in the wheel. The sole purpose of the spacer is to allow you to torque the axle without any side force being absorbed by the bearing.

The very same thing happened to my Beta. I replaced the bearings with bearings from a local bearings supplier. These lasted for TWO LAPS of my next trial. I then changed them again with a good quality bearing that cost around five times as much and have not had any trouble since, although I do check them regularly because I dont want to get stuck in the middle of a moor somewhere !!

Good quality bearings is the secret here

Phil