Shocks That Will Take Some Abuse?!

51mon

I have been using my Fantic 240 to ride modern events on either the expert or inter route but this weekend seem to have blown the seals on both shocks. It currently has some betor experts on but I was wondering if spending more on some replacements (magicals/maxtons) they will be more likely to stand up to the abuse of bigger steps and drops than say some rockshocks? I know the rockshocks are re-buildable but in the long run do you think the higher end shocks will pay off in both strength and performance?

All opinions welcome!

I wouldnt worry too much about blowing the seals on Betor shocks,the ones on my TY250 blew within months of buying the bike - they were new when I bought it.My lardy frame may have been too much for them,but I have to say they work better now than when new,(Far too stiff) but the new Falcons I have on my Ariel are very plush in comparison.Plus the Falcons are completely rebuildable/repairable,I wont be bothering to try fixing the Betors...

Rockshocks definetely are the way to go, very durable, rebuildable and ability to change the damping easily and quickly by anyone of moderate mechanical skill and last sold by one of the best customer service sellers in our sport.

Ive had falcons (steel body) on my ossa gripper for years, pos 14 years. They have had some stick over the years.

I can rebuild them myself when needed. The only mod i have done is drilled another hole in the rebound side of the damper piston and now run 7.5 wt oil and 65psi air.

The people that have ridden my bike say it is about the closest to a mono they have tried.

I would have another pair if needed. Steve.

The other nice thing about Falcons is that they can rebuild from stock any shock they have ever made.You can also alter the length of them to use on a different bike.

Unusual nowadays to be able to repair stuff,shame other stuff doesnt follow the Rockshock / Falcon example.

• Like 1

Thanks for the thoughts chaps. Think I just needed some reassurance that the Rockshocks/Falcons were up to the job. The duplex spring Magicals come in in between the two price wise but not being able to rebuild them is putting me off slightly. I do like the look of the Maxtons a lot but just can't warrant two or three times the price...... think how many home rebuilds you could do for that cost?!! Now its decision time......

Ive had falcons (steel body) on my ossa gripper for years, pos 14 years. They have had some stick over the years.

I can rebuild them myself when needed. The only mod i have done is drilled another hole in the rebound side of the damper piston and now run 7.5 wt oil and 65psi air.

The people that have ridden my bike say it is about the closest to a mono they have tried.

I would have another pair if needed. Steve.

Is that 65 psi nitrogen or dry air ????

Just ordered some Falcons for my Bantam, gave them the dimensions they need to be and my weight, they will be made to order inside a week. Had them on a couple of bikes in recent years, good product made in the UK .