Bultaco 250 To 350 ?

old trials fanatic

Bought a 250 model 198 and was just wondering if i could convert to a 325 or 350 ? Is the crank longer stroke or is it just bore? I know the weight on the end of the crankshaft and the flywheel are different but can you convert or is it more trouble than it's worth?

from the 250, 350 & 360 Bul's that I have they are different, the cases have a larger opening for the larger cylinder & bore, the cly. head bolt pattern is bigger for the 350

I looked for many years for a 198 or 198A and in that time was offered countless 199s and 199As. I eventually found a 198 (thanks Reginald) which is in the process of being readied for use. I totally agree about the virtues of the 250 motor compared with the 325, for people who want an enjoyable ride.

Ample power, very smooth, revs out well and grips like buggery. But the 350 is more 'fashionable' so everyone wants those which is good as you can pick up a good 250 for reasonable money.

I personally agree Woody. I was just thinking about getting max money when i sell it on. I have always found the 250 grips far better but as you say the "market" will pay more for a 350. Thanks all of you for the input. I didnt pay a lot for it so no problem.

I personal would leave the bike "as it is", instead I would "hunt" for probably missing components. Trying to get them original used or even new, (if they are priceworthy). A complete running and original bike is in the long run much more worth in it's collecting value then any bike that was tweaked, modded, ... I may lie wrong with this setting, however who knows quite exactly what in future is asked?

Certainly I do also like to try out mods but do this only with extra parts I found through E-Bay, motor shows and Craiglists and I personal will never do any replacements or modifications where you can't restore the bike to it's initial condition.