Starting Problems 04 Txt Pro 300

tonyr6

hi can anyone help ive tried all ways to get my bike to start cold or hot!!! fresh petrol!! carb cleaned spotless!! new plug etc?? when it does start by bumpstart it runs lovely but leave it and it wont start by kicking it !! have just replaced the kickstart quadrant and idler guess the guy i had it off wore them out but it kicks over nicely now?guess what it wont start!!! any help appreciated Tony

Edited by tonyr6

Can't remember , it was 3 years or more ago . pretty sure it was just one size bigger. I rejeted to ride in the mountains , started much better , came home changed the main back left the pilot. Statred first kick 90% of the time . Cold with choke , warm just kick it.

I do not wish to sound "too" basic here, yet one never knows. On hard starting issues, start with checking your spark plug. Hard starting can be the first sign of one going, even though it may seem fine otherwise.

I fixed a bike this weekend where someone had put a plug init at factory gap setting near .035 in, when set to a proper .025 it worked fine.

Fresh plug costs little as compared to the LEG!

dont want to sound ungrateful any replies are much appreciated, but ive changed the plug and set to 25thou ive had the carb in bits and it is now mint inside im gonna try the pilot jet first?? if not a montesa maybe on the cards

My old Gas Gas 300 was a bitch to start. I raised the float level and this fixed it. Remove carb and turn upside down, then measure 16mm from the base of the carb to the end tip of the float arms. Previous to this i could lay it on its side and it would flood then be able to start.

• Like 1

i will try 38 pilot jet and raise the floats !! what year was yours ?ive got carb off and as i said it was spotless inside!!! will let you all know if any improvement !!!! fingers crossed cos i got my eye on a montesa 4rt

Edited by tonyr6

she gotta go!!! fitted 38 pilot jet and dropped the floats down!!!! checked inside flywheel and cleaned it out !!!! started after about 8 kicks with choke run for 15mins and adjusted carb switched off to answer phone and guess wont start kicked and kicked and KICKED!!!!!!!!!!!!! ?????????

Probably not the issue, but you mentioned you replaced the KS pawl - did you follow the recommended alignment? Sounds like the bike was always hard to start - but thought I would bring it up anyway as something else to take note of to make sure your getting a full spin of the motor. Also - have you had another 300 rider give it a go? They can require a very special kick.

There is a definate knack involved I found my 280 difficult at first.

Now 2nd kick from cold with the choke on and 1st kick when warm,

PS even if I stop riding for a drink break 20 mins later it likes the choke again!

• Like 1

im working nights tomorrow so weather permitting im off for a ride in the morning !!! will let you know how she performs !! when you start with choke after stopping are you using any throttle?