Cleaning Exhaust Exterior...

hugh_b

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the tarty question but i like to keep my bikes in top shape!

Whats the best way of removing stains/burnt on mud etc from the exhaust on my evo? After a jet wash with bike cleaner mine looks a little sorry for itself in places! Will a scotch brite pad be ok? Don't want to remove any coating the exhaust has to prevent rusting!

Thanks

Hugh

Edited by hugh_b

Don't use scotch brite! It'll wreck the finish.

Use Autosol metal polish. It makes metal bits (especially aluminium) very shiny and clean.

I use it on my 5 year old Rev 3 header, mid and tail section and it all looks new.

Do not use scotchbright - it will leave ugly scratches.

On my Sherco - the stainless header pipe cleans up very well with 0000 or 000 steel wool and metal polish like Mothers, Autosol, Flitz, etc.

The aluminum is a bit tougher as it was probably not a high polish originally - and anything you do beyond just a cleaning product will make the piece shinier than it was originally. I would try degreaser products first and a gentle cloth or brush. If that does not do it you can use products for polishing aluminum - but once you start using them it will make them shiny and you will have to polish the whole exhaust once you start. It will take a long time the first time you do it - but it should be easier to polish from then on.

Swarfega TFR in the poches works a treat as a mud stain lifter from ally bits. £7.00 pack turns into 25 ltrs once diluted. Way cheaper than Mucoff for the same stuff.

TFR makes bikes look new as all the mud yellow/brown stains rinse off. Then polish with Mr Sheen (plastics) and autosol (ally bits).

Apart from the deep scuffs and dents it comes up like new.