Good Bike To Start With

bikeman

I am lookimg for a good bike to start on ,i have approx £800-£1000 to spend .I need some advice what is good ,what is bad ,i want a 250 upwards???.

Many thanks

Ian.

Edited by bikeman

go for the best condition bike you can find what ever it is, if you're just starting out the differences between the makes won't really matter.

you could probably get a tatty 2006 for £1000 that would cost you alot to upkeep

or a tidy 2003 which would ride almost identically but not cost you so much to run

personally a good condition beta rev 3 or montesa 315

As a beginner, the only downside I've found is the left foot kickstart on my Rev3.

All my bike kicking life had been right footed so I now have a hole in my left calf from the third attempt to start the damn thing.

I have got used to it more and always use my left foot but it still feels unnatural and awkward.

Trying to use my right foot from the left side resulted in a painful ankle from twisting.

My 2003 Rev 3 was £1k and it is a cracking bike - but I did buy it from a known source so I knew it had been looked after far better than I will do it.

Go for the latest good condition bike you can find. I strongly recomend a Rev3 200 if you want to compete. If you are looking as a play/trail tool find a 250. The 200 is an awesome bike. I whimped out off my Raga rep 300 and it was the best thing I ever did as I can attempt anything on the 200 with reasonable results. In the right hands the bike (200) does anything you ask of it.

I have just bought a 2004 Beta rev3 250 and its more than good enough for anything i can do.Dont need anything more than a 250 unless your using it for fast flat out stuff.Buy the newest bike you can find and buy on condition.