Trials Newbie, Advice Appreciated

craigh88

hi Craig, sorry i cant help with changing the rivet/selector, when i took the photo of my selector i was trying to improve selecting neutral. but if you remove gear lever and remove any muck on exposed shaft to protect the oil seal, you should be able to pull the shaft out letting you see if its a solid rivet which will have been peened over, or a hollow point rivet which has its edges rolled over like a flange. there are a lot of knowledgeable Gas Gas guys on here so maybe someone could tell you the correct procedure.

The rivet does need to be peened over with a hammer. Its not difficult to do, just make sure you put it through from the correct direction before you peen it down.

I used a small hammer and gradually tapped it down until it mushroomed out nicely. The metal is not too hard so it works pretty easily. I did not use the ball end of the hammer, I used the face and just took my time and it worked great. Remember that the claw does not have to pivot on the rivet. It can be peened tight to the claw.

Hi five. Sorry for the late reply I'm on holiday at the moment, not back until next week. Yes I got the parts and have started to build it back up but it's not at a stage where I can test it properly yet. As I said I'm away untill next week but will try and get it sorted as soon as I get back and let you know. Can't wait to get out riding. Lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I'm going to be building the bike up this weekend hopefully, just trying to fight off this jetlag first. Lol. Does anybody have a tightening torque for the big nut holding the clutch basket on? Or will FT do the job, it wasn't overly tight coming off as I remeber? Thanks.

Where did you go for holiday that you got jetlag?

I don't have a spec but I would would go more than finger tight. I think I recall Jim Snell having to use a rattle gun to get the nut off on the video so it must have been on there tight. When I put mine together I held the basket with a gloved hand and tightened the nut with a ratchet so it was snugged up tight. Make sure to bend the tabs on the retaining washer to keep it from loosening.

Ah, you went to Lost Wages. I hope you left with enough to put some petrol in the bike!

I travel a ton internationally and have learned how to not have much jetlag effect. Most people say it is worst flying west to east. Drink extra water to rehydrate. Air is about 10% humidity in the planes.

Beautiful weather here in Seattle. Planning to ride on Sunday and build a new section or 2 in a new area we found. I hope your bike goes back together easily.

Ride on!

Lol, yes just about enough left to fill the bikes up. Vegas has gone so expensive in the last few years, the food and drink etc. worth it though I suppose.

It would be loverly to just find somewhere good and ride it, there's too much red tape over here, and if you actually like your bike and want to keep it, it's not worth riding illegally. Just the way it is really, enjoy it, your very lucky. Lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. Sorry for the very late reply, been struggling for time to rebuild the bike, it's 99% ready now though, all the gear selector/clutch and casing are built up now, one of the bolts that secure the clutch slave had stripped the thread inside the casing, which delayed me as I had to drill and tap a larger thread, and thats all I'm waiting for now I just need to take my bolt that fits into work an shorten it, then I'm ready to go. I went to cowm leisure today on the enduro bikes an it gave me a massive kick up the ar$e to get the trials bike sorted, what a facility that is. Will defo be goin back there again.

• 1 month later...

Well I finally got out yesterday, just like to say thank you to everyone for your help. The bike run great and couldn't have done it without your help. A few small problems to add to the to-do list but nothing major. Just rear wheel bearings, take a link out of the chain and soon enough will have to change headstock bearings, which I'm

Not looking forward too. Lol. Thanks again. Craig