New To Me, 2011 Raga 300

razorback

Hi, I did the same thing when I got my 10 300 pro, I got a slow throttle a flywheel weight and a 10 front sprocket.

The bike was a handfull before, but after I fitted the first thing on (the slow throttle) it was perfect.

I still havn't got round to putting the other stuff on yet. :D

Ok, sending out more idea's if you need more cooling AND you want to slow it down. Order up that bitchin' oversized water pump impeller from Costa in Italy. Anodised red and everything. Bigger impeller so more drag on the crank. HaHa..... Just playing for all the serious types. Hell, I don't get that detuning business anyway. I'm always thinking of ways to make mine just leap off the ground.

Ok, sending out more idea's if you need more cooling AND you want to slow it down. Order up that bitchin' oversized water pump impeller from Costa in Italy. Anodised red and everything. Bigger impeller so more drag on the crank. HaHa..... Just playing for all the serious types. Hell, I don't get that detuning business anyway. I'm always thinking of ways to make mine just leap off the ground.

I've seen Michael ride. No "de-tuning" necessary, the poor bike has enough trouble keeping up with him!......:)

Jon, needing all the de-tuning I can get...........

When using the over flow tank, about 1.5 ounces comes out after a fill up and when I put it back in the radiator, 1.5 ounces comes right back out when the pressure/volume equalizes. That makes me feel SOOOOO much better that it's not loosing coolant and over heating. Thanks for the tip thats_a_five!

The bike started within two kicks when I got it but I've been lugging it around so much and using 50:1 on my first couple of tanks I think I have plugged it up. I have mixed up a 70:1 batch but it keeps getting harder to start and takes more kicks. I could not start it last night and had to point it down a hill and bump start it. It cleared out nice and ran good but not sure why it's getting harder to start. The kicker has positive action for the full stroke so I don't think my starter gear is knackered.

I just ran it around the neighborhood in 5th and pulled some nice long hills and it smoked like an OLD 2 stroke would. You would think I was fogging for bug control.

It's got a new plug, fresh fuel, a spotless air filter and runs great but it acts "flooded" when I try to start it. Do I have gunk build up in my exhaust and how do I clean it out?

Do I need to pull it apart or?

BTW, after the flogging around the neighborhood, it did have a good bit of wet fuel/oil mix on the inside of the tail pipe.

Hi Razorback,

Don't be running 50:1 or even 70:1 fuel mix. It's not a lawn mower or motocross bike. At worst 80:1 but I've been running 100:1 in my gassers for years. That's using good fully synthetic oil such as Motul 800. Some people will argue this point but I ran 100:1 in my 2001 TXT321 for ten years before putting a set of rings in it. And that was riding a full day virtually every weekend. I'm running the same mix in my 2011 Raga.

If you ever pull the head, or the exhaust header (or even the plug), you'll find there's plenty of oil in the cylinder. And the main bearings are lubed from the transmission oil.

Any more oil than 100:1 and you're just clogging the exhaust.

Regards,

Chris.

I have to admit, the 100:1 is hard to believe but the more I read the forum, the more folks I see do it without any ill effects. The 80:1 may be more my conservative style but 50:1 was definitely clogging things up so I won't be doing that anymore.

Of course, there is always more to every story. I used Belray MC1 for the first few batches at 50:1 and didn't really have any starting issues. After several folks told me to switch to 70:1 or 80:1 I had a desire to smell the caster of my youth and bought some 927 oil and mixed it 70:1. During my ride, I really didn't smell a strong smell of caster and was somewhat disappointed that it "didn't take me back" to when I was 8 on my first bike. So, I got over the caster thing and kept looking for the Motul 800 so many folks rave about and I finally found some at a Kawasaki dealer.

5 days later, the Raga sits unused and this is when I realized I could not start it and had to bump start it. I mixed up a new batch of fuel using the Motul 800, drained the 927 mix out of the tank and refilled with the Motul mix. Once I got it started is when I ran around the neighborhood and once the exhaust was hot enough, the bike started fogging wonderful smelling caster oil!

So I get her back home and the next day, still hard to start but within 5 kicks it was running. Now I am wondering if my race gas has gone bad. I bought 5 gallons of AP 101 race fuel almost 1 month ago. It is stored in the typical plastic race canister that sits behind the shop, outside and in the shade. However, we have just had 3 weeks of 100+ degree weather and now I'm wondering if the fuel may have lost some of it's spunk and it's not as fresh as I think it is.

The guy I bought it from says it won't go bad like regular gas and that the only issue is with evaporation. Can anyone tell me if that is true?

Anyway, getting race gas is a huge hassle around here so I'll pick up some fresh 93 octane, non-ethanol fuel tonight on the way home from work and see if the Raga starts better with it.

I'm still perplexed as to why it's getting harder to start but maybe the combination of month old race gas that sits outside and 927 is the problem.

razorback,

I'm running regular unleaded at 95 octane here in Riyadh (currently 110F) mixed at 80:1 just to be a little conservative with the heat here. Premix is Profi-Bike Evolution 2T, fully synthetic. It's the only premix I could find here. Race gas is nice and everthing, but I do not think it is 100% necessary. For comparison, my 08 Raga 300 has the low compression insert and slow throttle tube. No other mods.

Any chance you exhaust is plugged up? Have a good smell at the tip and I'll bet it reeks of oil. I think this would be the most likely culprit since you mentioned running it at low revs, and when combined with you very rich mixture I think you have some very soggy exhaust packing. When your riding at low revs do you crack the throttle and rev the engine every once and a while to clean out the head?

- Ken

Any chance you exhaust is plugged up? Have a good smell at the tip and I'll bet it reeks of oil. I think this would be the most likely culprit since you mentioned running it at low revs, and when combined with you very rich mixture I think you have some very soggy exhaust packing. When your riding at low revs do you crack the throttle and rev the engine every once and a while to clean out the head?

- Ken

No, I have not been revving it out and have pretty much run low RPM since I got it until I ran it around the gravel roads around the neighborhood a couple of days ago when it pooped out so much smoke.

The tail pipe does smell like oil and there is wet oil residue coming out when I ride so it has to be full of it.

Is it better to disassemble and inspect/repack or can I just burn it out with a few more laps around the roads around here?

My opinion, since you ran a really rich mixture for a while I'll assume that alot of your premix is soaked into your packing. Best bet is to pop the cap and replace the packing. From then on run a leaner mix and I think you won't have this problem any longer. I make no claims at being an expert and this is my first 2T, so maybe someone with a lot more experience will chime in.

- Ken

I picked up a fresh gallon of premium non-ethenol tonight and mixed up a 80:1 batch using Motul, drained the tank then refilled it with the new mix.

Poped the aluminum end cap off the exhaust and sure enough, the packing is soaked! Put the cap back on and ran the gravel roads in 4th and 5th and climbed long hills to make the motor work while leaving a smoke cloud behind me. After 20 minutes the smoke got less and less.

Starts with one kick now, two if it's cold! Probably a combination of bad gas and plugged exhaust. Runs just like when I bought it.

It looks like I can remove the end piece (plastic) of the exhaust and soak the packing to clean some of the oil out. Or do I just need to repack it?

Appreciate everyones input so far.

It looks like I can remove the end piece (plastic) of the exhaust and soak the packing to clean some of the oil out. Or do I just need to repack it?

Bill,

I'd repack the silencer. You can then clean the perforated core which will help engine response and smoothness. Oval core silencers are a pain to re-pack with sheet packing but a loose type packing, like SilentSport, makes it much easier. Be sure to read the directions carefully, the loose packings perform better if not packed too tight.

Jon