New To Me, 2011 Raga 300

razorback

I recently picked up a used 2011 Raga 300 and am using it to build/clear mountain bike trails and I need to slow it down and smooth it out as much as I can. I've dropped the front tooth to a 10 and installed a slow throttle tube which helps but now I want to smooth it out and make it more "chugable" if that's a word.

I'm thinking of adding a S3 flywheel weight as that is easy to get in the states. Is the S3 brand a good one or is there a better one?

Also, I'm considering lowering the compression with a new insert. The current insert has a "30T" stamped by the spark plug. Does anyone know which head insert it has in it?

If I do the new insert, what carb changes will be required?

I'm an senior newbie and don't really want to compete but instead just have fun with it. I appreciate any advice.

Here she is when I got her:

raga.jpg

I very much doubt you would find that rack to be legal in the UK.

Might look a bit mental on the front of my hatchback no doudt, i was thinkin more of fabricating a rear bike rack not using the Scorpa as a bull bar.

I would ask a previous owner? or who you bought it from... Now please note, I dont "know for sure" but would bet, that most even Raga's shipped with standard compression insert, I know my buddy had to purchase higher compression for his, when he went to Co Nationals, but his is the previous year raga, so I think a call to Lewissport or rising son or importer, might be in order, that is to verify against my assumptions, if it is Critical knowledge you seek. My bet is it shipped with a std compression insert, with lower and higher you can buy from suppliers/local dealers.

My dad has this same bike, Ill try to remember to look at his tonight, post later or tomorrow if I remember.

Edited by sting32

The previous owner says it's stock but really I'm just curious which it is. If you think about it, please check your dads bike if you don't mind.

The real question is if I have to make any carb changes, like jetting, when switching inserts.

I would think not but just thought I'd ask the collective knowledge here.

Appreciate the response.

I have the same bike (since new) and I love it. But the power is wicked.

Your bike will have a black outer head. The insert you can see with 30T on it should be silver. That is standard compression. A high compression insert is red and the low compression one is black. S3 is fine - I understand the original head is an S3 Stars item anyway

A low compression head and flywheel weight should make it into a smooth running torque monster. Be sure to let us know how you go.

Chris

Brisbane Australia.

Lowbrow, I don't mind drilling or tapping the original flywheel so the S3 should be OK and I can get the S3 stuff in the states pretty easy. Thanks for the info.

Chris, you are spot on. It does have the black outer head and the insert under it is silver with the 30T on it so it must be a standard compression insert like you say.

I agree, it is one sweet bike. I marvel at how simple it is when I work on it compared to my big bore dirt bikes and I LOVE it's light weight.

I appreciate the information guys, I'll order the flywheel weight and insert later today and will report back when I get them installed.

"The S3 flywheel is good (and for some of us, essential to tame the abrupt power delivery of the Raga. But you do need to drill some holes in the original flywheel to get the S3 to fit." by TooFastTim

As a long time S3 importer and dealer I can assure you that you do NOT have to drill any holes to fit the S3 Flywheel weight kit. I think TooFastTim is confusing it with the HEBO weight. The S3 kit is literally a 5 minute job to fit to the Gas Gas Pro flywheel .

The flywheel must be removed the first time the S3 kit is fitted, This is so the supplied two threaded inserts can be fitted into two existing holes in the flywheel from the back/stator side.

A round or "rat tail" file is needed to file a small portion of thin sheet steel that partially blocks these two holes. Then the flywheel weight can be bolted on from the outside. If you need to remove the weight in future the flywheel can stay on the bike.

It is the HEBO kit that needs the flywheel to be drilled (but it is also a good kit - just different initial fitment).

A spacer and gaskets are supplied to space out the side cover, allowing for the extra room the weight takes up, but the standard gear lever can still be used.

Head insert on RAGA is standard comp S3. You can fit a Low-Comp insert to"soften" the bike. Or change the standard 0.5mm base gasket for a 0.8 or 1mm base gasket.

regards

Edited by arnoux