2002 Rev 3 250 Flywheel Weight, Worth Refitting?

iconic558

Just bought a 2002 Rev 3 250, she came to me with the flywheel weight removed, but supplied with the larger casing too.

She seems to ride fine to me but being a novice I wouldn't really notice good from bad, within reason.

Is it worth refitting if it would help me....I'm guessing it would soften the power delivery somewhat?

I have read that only UK models came with a flyweight...mud?

cheers

Just bought a 2002 Rev 3 250, she came to me with the flywheel weight removed, but supplied with the larger casing too.

She seems to ride fine to me but being a novice I wouldn't really notice good from bad, within reason.

Is it worth refitting if it would help me....I'm guessing it would soften the power delivery somewhat?

I have read that only UK models came with a flyweight...mud?

cheers

would be best to fit for a beginner ie softer power better traction less chance of getting into trouble , you can remove when you feel the need for a bit more power when you progress

I wouldnt. There is as much disadvantage as the opposite. Whilst it will make the motor slower to pick up it takes it longer to fall back at the same rate and I always think that for beginers its better to stop quickly.

I rode a 250 beta yeastyerday and it wasnt in great fettle and had the weight which seemed to make it feel worse than it was.

I've removed it from my Evo 290 and it made the bike easier to ride. BUT, I've been at it a while and have a gentle hand. It does spin up faster without it. The engine will feel softer with it fitted, but I tend to find that unless you know that the bike is still driving when you have closed the throttle (it takes a while to get to understand and make use of this), the slower decay of revs makes the bike harder to ride. (as Dabster said!).

I an case, try it and see; it takes moments to change!

Graham

Leave it off. I used my freshly free of fly-wheel weight 200 this weekend in a tril and it was loads better. Quicker pick up and less tendency to push the bike on once throttle closed. Less inertia has also made it feel lighter. Strange but true.