06 Pro Ping, Stuck Ring, Little End Or ?

uhoh7

I've had the bike since new. Cylinder has been recoated and matched to current piston and now has a season on it.

I know the normal noises and my buddy has an 04 pro for comparison---.

Metallic clicking from cylinder area--sounds like a diesel. Very distinct--sharper than the "clutch noise", varies perfectly with rpm. You don't hear it reving up, but you do on decel. But it may be drowned out reving.

7337116440_c3df4e768e_c.jpg

Took off head to deal with o-ring and inspected. Cylinder seems perfect--esp compared to what it was like when I had it re-done (still ran then).

Jetting has never changed since new---using Dale hi-alt del orto jets.

Seems to run great.

But I'd hate to have it come apart here:

7179382837_6ab5fa5306_c.jpg

How can I test my bearings?

all advice apreciated :)

Was rumaging around looking for my wossner piston box to see what size I had--and came accross my stock head. I think I will pull off the raga head and see if noise changes :)

Edited by uhoh7

it does sound like piston slap what you are describing , little ends rarely give trouble just get blamed for piston slap all the time , it could be the big end (conrod ) ,you would need to remove cylinder and pull up and down on the rod keeping it pushed to one side to prevent rocking ,there should be no play here ,and get piston cyl measured while off , but like you say try head first

Hi Uhoh7,

Sorry I've got no remedy for you.

I had the same sort of problem on my 280 2001,changed rings,little end etc but it was a no go and I had to sell it like that.

Love that FJ :wub: :wub: you've got,a serious bit of kit, when I go on holiday I'm all over the nearest FJ owner as if they were my new best friend :wacko: ....Toyota should find a diesel lump to fit and flog them over here.

Wayne

If it is a constant tick related to engine speed perhaps the primary gear on the clutch has picked up some debris. What happens is a piece off the half moon kickstarter gear travels to the idler gear then becomes inbedded into the primary teeth. It is an annoying sound once you realize it is there. It can be very hard to find, sometimes a magnify glass is needed and go tooth to tooth. I have seen this three times before, twice on the pro motor.

Edited by lineaway

+1 lineaway. Chips on the backside of the Idler gear can also the cause noise you describe. Note - the backside chips are hard to see w/o taking it off.

Thats what I've found too. I've been quite surprized at how small a chip off the tooth face will produce the clicking sound described. My guess is that replacing th idler gear

will solve the problem. I also think that slamming the kickstart will surface scrub the tooth face and narrows them over time. This will result in tooth clatter due to the speed-up,

slow-down of the clutch assembly during normal, non-load operation (common to straight-cut gears).

Jon

If it is a constant tick related to engine speed perhaps the primary gear on the clutch has picked up some debris. What happens is a piece off the half moon kickstarter gear travels to the idler gear then becomes inbedded into the primary teeth. It is an annoying sound once you realize it is there. It can be very hard to find, sometimes a magnify glass is needed and go tooth to tooth. I have seen this three times before, twice on the pro motor.

TY so much for suggestion--I better pull off side cover and check that too. It does seem to come from cylinder area, but that's close. My gear oil has been clean w/ no big things on the magnet. The sound used to come and go a bit--most pronounced cold, but now seems to hang all the time.

Now I must remember to hold in the top hat so I don't have to rebleed.

I better chk my brake fluids too, hehe.

ON the way down from here

7337218202_1f18ff2dc4_c.jpg

a few weeks ago I had my first front brake fade---back of course can do it pretty easy getting hot, but this was the first time my front ever failed.

TY much for replies.

Edited by uhoh7

We have had a few of the 2007 and 2008 bikes that needed a new crank bearing that made similar sounds from the front (cylinder) of the engine. The chipped idler gear problem just starts making noise, it does not start softly and get worse over time as you have described.

• 4 weeks later...

TY for all replies :)

Just to update. After psiton inspection for cracks, I rode another 10-20 hours with loud tick, Just now I finally changed the piston. Silence. yaahooo!!

Its peak riding seaon now and we have been out a bit

7641295002_d293ed9a07_b.jpg

7641267034_3de171d79a_b.jpg

7641257970_04a4b329d6_b.jpg

7641172830_98eb805214_b.jpg

7656552856_599fd384f9_b.jpg

7656600838_9aee8f1b92_b.jpg

7641110426_ddb92b98a9_b.jpg