Rear Wheel Bearing Life?

How long do rear wheel bearing last for you? I replace the one on my 4rt about 3-4 months ago with good quality skf bearings. Last night while I was installing a new sprocket I notices fhpse. Eating are already very notchy feeling, but there is any play yet. It seems to me they should last a whole lot longer. I mostly use the bike from trail riding. I would guess I have about 400 miles on these bearing. The have see their fair share of mud but never with more than a garden hose.

I even Froze the bearing and heated the hub so I didn't need to use much effort to press them in when installed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Edited by brianjonesphoto

How long do rear wheel bearing last for you? I replace the one on my 4rt about 3-4 months ago with good quality skf bearings. Last night while I was installing a new sprocket I notices fhpse. Eating are already very notchy feeling, but there is any play yet. It seems to me they should last a whole lot longer. I mostly use the bike from trail riding. I would guess I have about 400 miles on these bearing. The have see their fair share of mud but never with more than a garden hose.

I even Froze the bearing and heated the hub so I didn't need to use much effort to press them in when installed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Be sure to pack the bearing with grease before installing. Check the torque setting on the rear axle, they are often over-tightened and this exerts excess side loads on the races.

Jon

i would be more than happy at approx 400 miles , wheel bearings dont tend to last long ,,cant see over tightening of wheel will have any affect at all on bearing life as they arnt taper bearings ,life could be prolonged by removing inner seals and greasing inside hub also fitting of extra external dust seals would be good

2010 evo on original bearings (loads of use) NEVER pressure wash. remove dust covers and re-pack 3-4- times a year.

overtightening will reduce life because you will crush the centre spacer and place side load on the bearing and overheating it.

I don't really trust the machining tolerance on stuff not built in Japan

My beta's are tight as heck, the bearing would hardly turn in the wheel but felt new after removal so I suspect there could be some clearance issues

I agree with the comments about regreasing the bearings, I blow out the stuff that's in there and replace it with optimol grease, that stuff is incredible

You might want to find the correct spec for the axle spacer and measure yours, it could be collapsed from over torquing at some point or just out of spec

2010 evo on original bearings (loads of use) NEVER pressure wash. remove dust covers and re-pack 3-4- times a year.

overtightening will reduce life because you will crush the centre spacer and place side load on the bearing and overheating it.

i think the threads would strip before this happens

snapback.pngpaul w, on 20 July 2012 - 09:56 AM, said:

i think the threads would strip before this happens

I have seen it happen to rev3's all the time. centre spacer really soft with hardly any face.

When you fit bearings you shouldn't hit the center of the bearing. I use a suitably sized socket which applies the force to the outer race. This will stop "brinelling" the bearing races causing notchiness.

Also, it should not matter how tight you do up the wheel nuts as this will not load the bearings as there is a spacer between them so only the inner race is clamped up. I think you have to accept that if you ride off road wheel bearings don't last that long even if they are good quality.

Careful fitting is paramount but I have always got years out of wheel bearings in various off road Msports.

Probably more to how you fit them (use a press and the old bearing race to push in) and how you clean the area around the bearing with water. Another thing I was always told to do was make sure no grease is oozing out the bearing. If you have this outside the seal it drags muck and grit into the bearing. The seals only seal if onto clean metal. Never over grease bearings!