Grr.... Kickstart Lever Gone Awol

al_orange

Goddamn Betas!!!

I mean seriously! They shake themselves to bits! I lost my kickstart lever somewhere on the road this weekend. Annoyed because I had recently loctited and tightened it. Still, not as annoying as the shock I got when I saw how much they are to replace!!! £90! WTF??

Plus my rear brake needs new seals but no, you can't just buy seals for a few quid, you need to spend £50 on a whole rebuild kit.

Very annoying as I've already thrown hundreds at this bike to get it to work properly. My KTM is cheaper to fix than this thing! I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of it now but I'd still have to fix the brakes and kickstart before then anyway.

Bloody good fun to ride but such a pain to work on.

I agree, it really is infuriating the prices charged for some spares and the fact you can't buy just the bit you need. I reckon if one of thre top manmufacturrers improved their reliability a bit and had a fair spares price and availability it would only be a few yers before they dominated the market.

Cheers

Kickers are pricey as there cast from one piece of alloy for strength. I know this sounds messy but it works well and that is to dab a bit of liquid gasket on the saft splines and the bolt thread. They never vibe loose then. If the bolt did manage to pop out then it is still help on belt the liquid gasket on the splines - apply sparingly though.

Are you sure you can't take the old seals down to a seal and bearing shop to match them up?

One thing you will get if you get the kit is spares for other bits so if you go this route re build everything. Once ones gone the others are never far behind - piece of mind then.

Buy a Gas Gas - go on you lot tell me yours has done this, that...................................blah blah blah

its all down to luck and sometimes how you fettle them.

new kickstart for 90 quid. properly sealed brakes for 50 quid and this for a cutting edge competition machine? i think thats chuffing good value.. add in an importer with knowledge and stuff on the shelf and delivered next day.. i think we re lucky..

Hmm why would you start a thread that the sole problem is yourself? You lost it. The rebuild kit is the same kit for 90% of the bikes that year. Has nothing to do with just one manufacturer. Hope the kit fixes it, otherwise you will have wasted more.

Edited by lineaway

Totalshell - you obviously have a different idea of good value to the rest of us.

Beta kick starts are pretty crap - the alloy is not as hard / tough as Honda for example.

For my high performance 6 cylinder car I can buy a new alloy water pump with all the bits, gaskets etc included for £71 and a new brake seal kit for two calipers including seals, boots and brake grease is about £10.

Makes the BETA bits look very poor value.

Like when Yamaha used to charge £100 plus for a Ty 250 ignition case, fortunately John Shirt and latterly Nigel Birkett had them made in UK and sold for well under £30.

Cheers