Kill Switch Location ?

robf

Hi Guys

I am at the early stages of getting a 1974 Yamaha TY250 into a usable condition

I have put a new carb on it and an electronic ignition and now it actually runs

I thought it might also be nice to be able to stop it so will be fitting a kill switch - the question is where do you feel is the best location for it ?

It's a normal press button type but I have seen them fitted on the left hand bar - on the right hand bar and even in the middle between the two bar clamps

I would be interested to hear your feedback in regards to the pros and cons of these locations

If you have it on the left or right hand it is more liable to end up underwater when you drop the bike. Having it so you can operate it with your thumb whilst your hand is on the grips is no great advantage - the times when you really need it are when you are six feet away and it is screaming its head off. Put it in the middle, it keeps the wiring tidier too.

• Like 1

If you have it on the left or right hand it is more liable to end up underwater when you drop the bike. Having it so you can operate it with your thumb whilst your hand is on the grips is no great advantage - the times when you really need it are when you are six feet away and it is screaming its head off. Put it in the middle, it keeps the wiring tidier too.

This is good advice,and last sunday I saw a rider get a shock from his kill switch when it was peeing with rain - make sure its well sealed...

Put it within reach of your left thumb

The time when you really need it is not when its screaming its head off and you are six feet away, it is when the carb slide has frozen wide open in third or fourth gear and you are still on top of it heading rapidly towards something nasty. People who say otherwise have not genuinely been in that situation, despite their brave words. When in real peril, the human reaction is to hang on, not jump off. Big problem when approaching the edge of a quarry top.

That way you can 1) stop it and 2) ride it back 'on the switch'. If you are riding at a level that means you may be pressing your hips against the bars on steps or climbs, turn the switch forwards so that it's under your forefinger, then learn to use it.

Always a good idea when installing a kill switch to take it to bits (not hard) and spray it with a long lasting water dispersant (eg waxoyl Not WD40) Stops corrosion salts building up and causing problems later.

Edited by gii

I agree with GII! I have been in that situation not knowing that when I layed the bike down that I hooked something that pulled the throttle cable out and did not return to the casing. A rolling bump start and here we go and you have to decide which control to give up, clutch or front brake. all three of my bike have them on the left side now. Just my opinion

if its in gear and revving im betting your left hand will have hold of the clutch. above a certain rpm the kill switch doesnt work or takes a long time so heading toward a cliff id be focussing on keeping hold of the clutch. pulling the clutch and pressing a kill switch at speed is like ctrl alt del on your keyboard but at speed, not recommended

if its in gear and revving im betting your left hand will have hold of the clutch.

And if it is pointed down hill your right hand will have the brake on! Damed if you do damed if you don't.

I always have mine on the LHS within reach of the grip.

I am going to fit a lanyard kill switch & have the engine stop/kill switch. The lanyard is for when I am going one way & the bike is going the other. The engine stop is for them calm controlled stops that I sometime like to make.

Definately belt and braces then. Can honestly say in all the decades i've been riding only needed a kill switch once.

Whatever might just be lucky but if youve ever seen me ride i dont look lucky.

Always mount mine in the middle but one of my friends did point out kill switches dont fit fatbars in the middle so have to go one end or tother. As i never have used them i wouldnt know.