Late Entries

gizza5

I think this is where Pindie is out of touch with what actually goes on in organising and running ordinary events.

i wouldnt mind betting that only one or two trials clubs in the uk operate "as a buisness" I certainly know that no one in our club is ever paid for the time they put in they are volunteers.

also we run trials at a loss sometimes because we dont get enough entries after the landowner gets paid, so its maybe a loss leader but probably just a loss.

Easy answer is do what I did ,set up your own club.

Brilliant idea!

Then the club could have a modern computerised entry system that allowed riders to decide if it's convenient to enter right up to the last second.

No doubt this fantastic computer will also cut out and mark sections, observe, work out the results and email them, whilst making the club a fortune from all the late entry fees that it's bound to attract!

Easy peasy. I don't know why we've not done it before?

• Like 1

Easy there tiger. No need for your handbag waving!

I did say that both methods should be available to cater for the prepared people but late entries should be allowed but not become an extra paperwork hassle on the day as organisers have much better things to be getting on with (that don't involve computers).

I take it you won't be popping down from Evesham to use the South Wales trials park when it opens? It will be online payment and registration prior to arrival to save having loads of paperwork to sort through.

Nothings easy which is why not many people do things but if it were not for a computer you would not be posting on here? It is just a tool to help you process lots of information so don't knock it. You can use it how you want or get a note pad and pen it is up to you and the club if you use it to help or not.

Easy there tiger. No need for your handbag waving!

I did say that both methods should be available to cater for the prepared people but late entries should be allowed but not become an extra paperwork hassle on the day as organisers have much better things to be getting on with (that don't involve computers).

I take it you won't be popping down from Evesham to use the South Wales trials park when it opens? It will be online payment and registration prior to arrival to save having loads of paperwork to sort through.

Nothings easy which is why not many people do things but if it were not for a computer you would not be posting on here? It is just a tool to help you process lots of information so don't knock it. You can use it how you want or get a note pad and pen it is up to you and the club if you use it to help or not.

And this has exactly what bearing on the original question about late entries?

Brilliant idea!

Then the club could have a modern computerised entry system that allowed riders to decide if it's convenient to enter right up to the last second.

No doubt this fantastic computer will also cut out and mark sections, observe, work out the results and email them, whilst making the club a fortune from all the late entry fees that it's bound to attract!

Easy peasy. I don't know why we've not done it before?

To be fair, Breagh's trials are very popular (100+ entries) and are enter on day, so comment is relevant.

To be fair, Breagh's trials are very popular (100+ entries) and are enter on day, so comment is relevant.

I've no doubt that trials that enter on the day ARE popular, all of our club trials are enter on the day. If no one turns up, it's not a major loss.

I agree that clubs that use fully automated entry methods are doing the right thing, it's they way we should all be going.

My comment about relevance refers to the Gizza's original question concerning late entries.

If a club stipulates a closing date, should riders be allowed to enter after that date?

:wall: Doh

It may even depend on the type of event. Like Pete says, the Colmore Cup is complex and late entries would make a mess of it if it was solely run on waiting for that last man to arrive but his own club trials are enter on the day.

It is horses for courses.

I fully agree that a small club which is run more like a group of mates can just turn up and pay to ride if that covers the fees of the landowner. Complex events? maybe not for many reasons as Pete says.

However, there is a lot of middle ground between the two and both methods could be used to enter if done well. Pay up front to get bums on seats and covers costs and late entries create extra money. Even the up front could be done on line or use paper it does not matter if the club can run the event and pay the bills.

I am guessing the general opinion is no late entries? If so then why not say so and aim to get all clubs saying the same. We have Pete saying it can not happen on a complex trial but is fine at local level. Thats fine but why get so upset? What he is saying is double standards. Pick one method and stick with and don't ask for others to chip in.

If you run a club you make your own reasons for payments. Breagh has the right idea I think which is why I am happy to carry on with the Trials Park idea.

The trials park is not a club trial or complex trial and will have bicycle routes as well as motorcycle routes. There are no late entries or cancellations due to no one turning up it will just be open when the web site says it is. What it will be though is a site where you can see if your free that day to ride, book, turn up and ride all day if you want. Job done. If you want a score card then ask at the kiosk.

I'll leave it to Pete to solve as he has both ends of running a club covered by having two different approaches.

Edited by pindie

I'm not sure how we've got onto the subject of the trials park from the question of late entries, and by the way I wish you all the luck in the world with this venture.

You mention me having double standards; no just two different systems to two very different situations.

Why "Pick one method and stick with and don't ask for others to chip in" the whole point of the thread was to discuss late entries?

Just think back to your earlier post when you mentioned being asked to pre-enter when it didn't suit you. Fair enough, but then you complained that you didn't get a ride when you turned up and you wouldn't be going there again.

If the organisers chose to apply a closing date (for what ever reason) then we should accept that and not take offence. Organisers don't make these rules because they like to offend riders, or turn away the chance to loose money!

You also mentioned entering a trial by phone whilst on the way, again a brilliant idea providing the club can take the chance that you are going to turn up. So the hard working club members take a financial risk so that you can leave it to the last minute to make up your mind.

You also wrote about sitting at home with a beer on a Sunday waiting for the results to arrive by email. Would this be the same hard working club members who've been out all weekend running the trial who would be doing this?

I guess you are happy with all this providing no one asked you to do something terrible like pre-enter!

And as for your finally comment, I have no idea what you think I'm going to "solve"?