Frame Chroming

gazzaecowarrior

Im restoring my Mont mh123 and I would like to go down the chrome frame route. I know the frame should be painted 'saint germain red' but I fancy chrome. I had considered powder coating but I've had mixed results from this in the past and fancy something different. I Know nothing about metal treatments. I've just had a quote for £800 from Ashford chroming to do my frame and swing arm. This involved sandblasting, chroming and polishing. I'm sure the finished article would have looked amzing but this is way beyond my budget. Are there any metal treatments out there which will give a nice chrome or silver finish without the expense ? Also does anybody know any companies which wil do such a process and roughly how much will it cost ? Has anybody anodised their frames too ?

Gareth

I know you've set your heart on chrome but...

I had the daughters Gas Gas frame, swing arm, foot rests, yokes, sidestand (and numerous brakets etc) powder coated and it looks a treat. Did the frame in white and everything else in satin black.

Degreased, blanked off, sand blasted and powder coated for under £200.

IMG_1080.jpg

Edited by pete_scorpa3

Ive never heard of that. Have you had it done before ? Any good ? How much does it cost ?

I've not but have seen the results on car wheels and exhaust headers and it dies look really good. Not quite as bright as chrome but still quite stunning, cheaper then chrome too.

Have a look on YouTube at parts being cermachromed, it's fascinating to see as the finish flashes from a dry looking powder to a shiny smooth glossy shine.

Personally I wouldn't have a trial bike chromed, it means it needs to be kept polished to look good. Also if it wasn't chrome to begin with there's a sort of cheapness to it that might put future buyers off.

I had my last txt pro powder coated in its original black and it looks great, it also looks standard but in really good condition and people WOW at it because it looks much younger then it actually is.

I had the daughters Gas Gas frame, swing arm, foot rests, yokes, sidestand (and numerous brakets etc) powder coated and it looks a treat. Did the frame in white and everything else in satin black.

IMG_1080.jpg

That does look nice to be fair

Another reason I wouldNt have a trial bike chromed is because it has a tendency to peel off over time (no matter who chromed it). Same peeling happens if when you bash it which of course leaves exposed steel that will rust. Powder coat On the other hand tends to just chip or scratch so it can be easily touched up with the matching colour and a paint brush. It's not as easy to touch up on top of chrome and it's always obvious when someone's touched up chrome with silver paint!

Edited by tankygsy

I've not but have seen the results on car wheels and exhaust headers and it dies look really good. Not quite as bright as chrome but still quite stunning, cheaper then chrome too.

Have a look on YouTube at parts being cermachromed, it's fascinating to see as the finish flashes from a dry looking powder to a shiny smooth glossy shine.

Personally I wouldn't have a trial bike chromed, it means it needs to be kept polished to look good. Also if it wasn't chrome to begin with there's a sort of cheapness to it that might put future buyers off.

I had my last txt pro powder coated in its original black and it looks great, it also looks standard but in really good condition and people WOW at it because it looks much younger then it actually is.

Thanks for that. I will have a look. Im just not a massive fan of powdercoating. The bike is only ever going to be polished anyway as my injury six months ago means I'll never compete again.

£800 is on the steep side but around £500 is common - it's not cheap due to the labour intensive work - the frame needs to be polished several times. Once on bare metal to apply the copper, again before the nickel and again before the chrome, then one final polish on the chrome itself. It is a pig of a job and they don't always get the polishing mops into all the nooks and crannies or the insides of some of the frame tubes so sometimes you will see rough finishing (I'd imagine they do on the £800 job...)

There are other issues as well like rust coming through eventually and if you break anything and it needs welding it will make a real mess of chrome (unlikely though if you're not riding it)

IMG_1080.jpg

did the abrasive blasting remove the chrome plating or just make it rough enough for the powder coating to stick?

It is easy to get Chrome wrong and it will flake, or it will rust - have a look at some rusty bikes - get one of these and it will look horrible.

Further, Chroming make good steel hard - chrome embrittlement - and the steel can crack.

Paint it mate, Ralphy

http://www.bikeexif.com/montesa

here is an alternative idea. black powdercoat and a leather tank finish.

Chrome maybe expensive but how about stopping at the copper plate stage?

Nickel plate can be a less blingy finish especially if the bike is more show than go.

That does look a cool mont. I really don't know about the leather though. Just been giving my new bike a good look over. I'm convinced the paint is original as it has many of the original stickers on it. It has just been touched up badly around the footpeg area on one side. Maybe I should get these areas resprayed to keep it's originality. But I do really fancy a metal finish. Is the nickel cheaper ? Could it be electroplated ?

It is easy to get Chrome wrong and it will flake, or it will rust - have a look at some rusty bikes - get one of these and it will look horrible.

Further, Chroming make good steel hard - chrome embrittlement - and the steel can crack.

Paint it mate, Ralphy

+10 for these statements from me.