Flywheel

abn70

My 2000 Sherco 250 wouldnt start and after taking off the flywheel one of the contacts is loose. Is this terminal? Looking on websites you cant buy second hand ones and new ones come with new stator. Expensive for a 12 year old bike!

Thanks for the reply. Inside the flywheel there are metal contacts about 1inch square riveted into the magnet. On one of them is loose. Hope this helps I only know the basics!

tn_gallery_17154_76_20695.png

Edited by abn70

The pic as small and I cannot tell much, however it may be a pole piece has separated at a rivet. If the magnet is gamaged, the wheel will likely require replacement. Is this a Ducati ignition? There is likely someone out there with a flywheel.

tn_gallery_17154_79_2151550.jpg

hi, it is one of the pieces with a small "V". The magnet doesnt look damaged so i was wondering if I should look for someone to repair or just "bite the bullet" and find a second hand one? any last advice?

thanks for your help, Chis at Splat Shop has a second hand one. I'm new to Trials and new to Trials Central and cant believe how helpful everyone is.

That is good then, just replace it. Hopefully there are no other issues with the stator.

How do I check the amount of free play ?

Grab the end of the crank & try lifting up & down, you should be able to feel any movement

The bike had a new stator and only ridden once since. Is it possible the flywheel was not put on properly ?

If the flywheel wasn't fitted right the internal taper will be damaged so I wouldn't think so

Thanks