Gas Gas 250 2T Gearing?

chris91

Hello all I am in need of some help.

I am new to trials and have been trying to get the front wheel up and wheelie so i can get over logs ect...

I have found that in second gear i have to really rev it to get the torque to get it up where as if in third i can lift it easier as the torque is lower down.

My question is am i running the right sproket sizes or do i need to change them to a different size to get more grunt from second as it always seems to rev its nuts off!

I have got a 10t on front and a 41t on back. any recomendations welcome.

thanks chris

I think that there are 2 topics in this thread. 1) Proper wheelie techniques and 2) rear mudguard attachment.

1) Lee99780 makes a great point that the problem is not gearing, but rather, technique. It does not take large throttle inputs to wheelie a trials bike. His recommendatin to watch the Ryan Young video is right on. The video teaches how to do a wheelie in control using body weight and throtle inputs.

2) While learning to wheelie, it is not uncommon to overdo it, loop the bike and break rear mudguards. Using attachments that will break before the mud guard is a great idea to save costs. Another idea is to simply remove the mudguard when practicing wheelies.

Yeah that's what I've got, a number plate screw at bottom in middle quite loose and 2 cable ties at side, I've always snapped the tie or it pulls the teeth out of it, believe me I've flipped it a few times! Especially now I've gone from 125 to 300

Ditto on the Ryan Young training videos. Worth the purchase price, IMO!

You should be able to wheelie the bike without the engine running if you are doing it right. Drop the knees to load the front suspension, then extend your body up and back as the suspension rebounds, pulling up and back on your bars. That should do it....adding a touch of throttle as the forks rebound just makes it easier is all.

Practicing on a slight uphill grade makes it easier too.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...