Beta Vs Sherco (Another What Bike Thread!)

aaron_sherco

Hi Guys

Sorry in advance for this thread haha.

Well basically i have a 2009 Beta Evo 250cc which i have had for just under a year. I absolutely love the beta, it has been nothing but enjoyment and a pleasure to own. The bike has never skiped a beat or needed any work done except the usual bearings and oil change.

Now that the time has come to change the bike the plan was to go for a 2012 Beta but with work drying up unfortunatly it will be a 2011. I have been offered a 2011 Sherco 290cc that i cant stress enough has done NOTHING at a very good price! The bike has been out four times at the most and just for trail riding, no competition use! The owner works in England for weeks at a time and just doesnt get the chance to use it.. p.s hes from Norther Ireland

Basically what im asking is will i regret moving from the beta? Has anyone else on here made the same move? Do the 2011 shercos have any issues to look out for (e.g. Gas Gas = gearbox selector shaft)

Thanks in advance guys!

I had a 2009 290 Evo, which I loved. I swapped for a 2011 290 Sherco and I thought it was a brilliant bike. No regrets at all! It never gave me any problems. I swapped that for a 2012 Evo, and ive gotta be honest, I preferred the Sherco. It's a lovely bike to ride.

The sherco has probably done nothing because A) its a crap bike B) it has probably been broken down most of the time ... mine was I reverted to Beta after that disaterous year (we run 2 bikes and like yours ours havn't put a foot wrong even with what most UK riders would consider excessive use (as if that was possible) plus if they did I know that the importer (John Lampkin) tries hard to be sympathetic if and when problems arise, this attitude to customers is not universal amongst importers.

Well basically i have a 2009 Beta Evo 250cc which i have had for just under a year. I absolutely love the beta, it has been nothing but enjoyment and a pleasure to own. The bike has never skiped a beat or needed any work done except the usual bearings and oil change.

Why change at all?

Why change at all?

Really,if work has slowed just ride whatcha got...

That said,I freakin' love my 2011 250 Sherco,smooth power,plus it seems to have a magical balance thing going on, When I feel a dab coming on I just don't do it and it's like an invisible friend runs up behind me and hold me up and the bike pulls me through. I also love the loud intake,makes for a audible throttle position/engine load/rpm sensor to provide feedback to my brain cells. I haven't tasted a Beta yet,keep passing on ride offers,Although the 4t's are very interesting...

The sherco has probably done nothing because A) its a crap bike B) it has probably been broken down most of the time ... mine was I reverted to Beta after that disaterous year (we run 2 bikes and like yours ours havn't put a foot wrong even with what most UK riders would consider excessive use (as if that was possible) plus if they did I know that the importer (John Lampkin) tries hard to be sympathetic if and when problems arise, this attitude to customers is not universal amongst importers.

For gods sake man, you had a coil go bad and you could not keep the daft IRC on the rim wich was the tires fault! Give us a break!

For gods sake man, you had a coil go bad and you could not keep the daft IRC on the rim wich was the tires fault! Give us a break!

Cope;... I am a professor of mech eng. with 45 years of trials experience; may I simply say that your memory of my experiences with Sherco is far less vivid than mine.

I have never really heard an old Sherco sounding nice, they seem to wear out quickly. My mates had 290 Sherco and they soon got rid of it as the power was to agressive plus it never turned like a Beta or Gas Gas, always had to be hopped around to get in tight sections. They went from top ten riders to bottom third in compertions as they couldnt get on with the bike.

Stick with the current bike if work is an issue as an 2011 could be in worst state than yours mechanically.