Sherco 290 No Spark

tadger

Groan. Bought a 2005 290 from a dealer on line. "serviced and good to go". It wasn't and isn't.

Rode it for 20 mins and all good, then it started fluffing a bit, then wouldn't idle, then it would rev out until I could kill it. Left it overnight. Same next day but would only run on choke before it revved out. Did the basics. Changed fuel, cleaned carb, fuel filter, changed transmission oil (which was brown), cleaned airfilter and lubed, cleaned airbox.

Started OK, but plug (a new one) very oilly so played around with mixture screw (2 half turns out, rather than the original 5) and it felt better but still occassionally fluffing. Original dealer (who is 250miles away) advised me too clean carb again, which I have done but now I have no spark and it just won't start.

Any thoughts.

Thoughts on this:

Symptoms seem fuel related. Insure the pilot jet is clear and you can pass a fine wire through it.

Insure the fuel tank vent tube is not restricted and fuel flows freely to carb, as this happens after riding a bit.

Other potential issuses include crankshaft seals if it only runs on choke and has floaty idle.

Spark is difficult to see on these in daylight, fresh plug and dark shed should show something on kickover.

Disconnect kill button and ck earthing of cdi.

Thanks Copemech.

I'll try to find a spark in the garage (lights off). Have already isolated the kill switch but without success. I have cleaned the carb, jets, breathers, filters etc... twice now. Fed copper wire through also. Main jet does however seem to have a rough edge just visible with the naked eye even after passing wire thro' so I may replace that for good measure.

If I cant get a spark is it likely to be the stator in your opinion?

Also, when I gave the bike an oil change - 300ml of chocolate coloured oil came out. Why that colour, and where did the other 150ml go? Hmm... water pump seal perchance? Any ideas?

hi, picked up my 07 sherco yesterday and i also have no spark and am at a loss so gona follow your post and hopefully get a answer.

i've cleaned carb and all filters,new plug. i've pulled apart left hand switch gear but how do you isolate kill button??

mine has a button similar to a horn which you press to connect a black and yellow green wire which kills the engine,if these arent connected am i right that circuit is good to go? so how do you isolate it. just about to check earth on coil and connectors for crap and corrosion.

hope you get sorted.

I have checked all the earth connections and gave them a quick sand to roughen up the contacts (although they looked fine anyway). Also, I checked all electrical connections and all were pressed firmly home, so at a loss. I think mine is serious. I have also isolated the kill switch and still no joy. The dealer I bought it from has asked me to take it to a local dealer who can hopefully diagnose it.

To isolate the kill switch I removed the tank to get the wiring and took the switch out the loop from the coil and joined everything up. When u see it you'll figure it

out - I think.

If anyone else has any other ideas I'd be grateful. Meantime, it's local dealer time for me.

just got in from a long day of trying everything and i seem to have won!

tried checking for a spark again in completely dark garage and just managed to see HT lead arcing across to frame.

quick visit to Halfords for some lead and hay presto it fired up.

i do hope yours turns out to be as simple and non expensive.

i'll keep watching so do post your end result.

Good Luck!!!

I have checked all the earth connections and gave them a quick sand to roughen up the contacts (although they looked fine anyway). Also, I checked all electrical connections and all were pressed firmly home, so at a loss. I think mine is serious. I have also isolated the kill switch and still no joy. The dealer I bought it from has asked me to take it to a local dealer who can hopefully diagnose it.

To isolate the kill switch I removed the tank to get the wiring and took the switch out the loop from the coil and joined everything up. When u see it you'll figure it

out - I think.

If anyone else has any other ideas I'd be grateful. Meantime, it's local dealer time for me.

Well if you still have no spark, get it over to the dealer then. One needs the parts to swap out to isolate the problem. Stator, CDI unit and such. Hopefully you are covered on this, as a good lad should.

On the off chance that this was not checked: At an event this season one of the bikes would not fire up. It ran great the day before and then he washed it and put it away. At the event, no go. He tried many things, but what we ended up doing was removing bolt that holds the cdi(??? it is located under the fuel tank between the frame rails right up by the steering head, same bolt holds the fuel tank on on early Shercos) anyways removed the bolt and pulled the unit out (no disconnecting) and cleaned up the spot where the bracket makes contact with the frame. The electronics were grounded to the bracket which grounded through the frame. reassemble and he had a great time at the event.

I even got a :beer: out of the deal. sweet for me cuz he did the work, I just pointed and watched.

• 4 weeks later...