5 Or 6-Speed Trials Bike

paali11

Hi, I´m looking at a Sherco 250 2003 model and thinking about buying it.

I have heard much good about it, so I dont have many doubts.

The only thing that I noticed is that the Sherco bikes has 5-Speed Gearboxes, I have only driven Beta´s in the past, and those were all 6-Speed.

Is that a problem, and am I going to note a big difference?

How are the Sherco´s in general, compared to Beta and Gas Gas? (250´s)

Thanks,

Paul

Edited by paali11

Not wanting to offend Sherco owners..............If you are riding in predominately muddy conditions I would go for a 6 speed box that allows a useable 4th gear. I had a 2002 Sherco in the south east of UK and 3rd wasn't high enough for the mud and 4th was too high. I never understood the Sherco Logic??!! I played with the sprockets to get a reasonable compromise but was never the same as the previous Gasser, just couldn't get grip.

Of course more acomplished riders will get the best from each bike bike, when I changed back to a 6 speeder the grip just came back to me!

Cheers

I get along fine with my Sherco It is a 2000 2.9. I have the sprockets set up decent to where 1st is a tractor 2nd is quite usable for almost anything. 3rd great for big hillclimbs, major mud (I suck at anyways) and when I need a bit more ooomph!

But with all that said, My next bike will be a Gas Gas 300, I like the motor and the 6 speed gearbox seems to me to be more versatile.

But I ride like crap so..........take the info with a grain or two of salt

• Like 1

I find the 5 speed box a nuisance on the fast trail/fell going, it always seems to want a gear between 4th & 5th.

It's not a problem for me in the sections though, i wouldn't let it stop you choosing a sherco.

The most important thing is to try all the bikes & choose the one that feels right for you.

The internet can't tell you that.

The gearing on a modern trials bike is a pretty minor consideration IMHO.What I would be more concerned about is the fact that a 250 2003 Sherco is a 'snappy' bike (from what I remember)...and the steering is very fast !

I had a spanking 290 2003.. itwer a reet handful :hyper:

There was a narrow, sharp spread of torque and power which I personally don't like, when the bike revs it revs very quickly. Experts like that, I don't.

I had a late 2005 edit 2004 250 with the later, more mellow, 'long' exhaust and a carb spacer fitted from the which helped a little. The bike was a zipper 'n' blipper type.

Don't get me wrong I loved the bike.... when I was in the mood. I put more peg-time into that bike than any other I've owned but it was tiring to ride for any great length of time, it really caught up with you on the last lap of a trial. I am a lazy rider and I always search for the easiest bike to ride.

I tried a 250 2008 Sherco and it seems like they've addressed that little 'snappy' characteristic .

Take my post with a dollop of IMHO

Edited by ham2