Rev 3 2003 Dies For No Apparent Reason.

disco1001

Hi can anyone help?

My rev 3 200 runs fine for short periods then just cuts out for no reason.

Then its a dog to get started again. Have to kick with fuel off half a dozen times to clear carb then kick with fuel back on to get her running.

She then runs sweet for 5 or 10 mins then does it again.

Gave it a full carb clean / air box all clean and sparking seems fine, but still does it.

I think it maybe a fuel / carb issue??

flooding??

Could the carb be set up wrong??

Any ideas appreciated

Darren.

Have you checked to make sure that the choke is closing ? Also have you checked that the bike is not overheating ? Check to see if the fan is working by wiring onto constant a lot of 2 strokes run like dog if overheating and the fan on a Beta is one of the most probable causes. If the carb is flooding change the jets and reset the float by slightly bending it down over so it shuts the jet off before hitting the top of the float chamber.

When it cuts out have you checked for a spark, I had a montesa that used to cut out and refused to start for 15 mins. Then it would run for 20 mins and do it again. Turned out to be the stator plate was failing when hot. Obviously if it had no spark and you kick it over it will draw petrol through and look like its flooding.

Hi Scorpa 4 dean.

Re-checked carb all clean. Put back in bike.

Ran 12V across the two unpluged terminals direct to fan. Nothing??

My sons not had this bike long but he reckons he saw the fan come on at high revs a week or so ago. It looks not in to bad shape but cant understand why it wont come in with a direct source.

Do you know where the ground wire is from the fan so i can check to see if this is making?

would the bike just die after about 5 or 10 mins if over heating? runs really well untill it does??

Also i ended up with fuel all over my shed floor when putting bike away...came from down back of swing arm. Does the carb spill out if flooded?

Ive not gone down the float and choke avenue yet. Wont to make sure fans doing what its supposed to 1st.

As you can tell i have basic knowledge when working with carbs...

Appreciated

Darren

Edited by disco1001

Yes the fuel will run out the over flow pipe mounted at the bottom of the float bowl the pipe exit is behind the gear box I had the same problem checked the float height replace the float needle valve Also I found if I slowly turned the float bowl upsidedown one of the floats stuck My Beta filled the crankcase full of fuel and hydrauliced If I remember I think the fan earth is at the regulator but then mine has been rewired

• Like 1

I'd bet on float issues. Search for Beta carb mod.

Once you set the floats etc make sure you crimp the pin ends to make sure it does not slide about and jam the floats during riding.

I always turn my fuel of and run it till it dies when I put my bike away. This way you know the carb is empty so no leaks or floods possible.

15 minute job to do the carb set up.

Thanks pindie.

Ordered a new float valve which is going in soon and i will then set up correct.

Im still addressing radiator issue.

Ran direct current against two push on connectors...nothing...???

Connected them together and ran bike.... nothing...???

Couldnt get to direct fan feed lead without removing radiator so did this. Ran direct feed onto fan and fan works.

Now confused.

Could it be a regulator???

Couldnt see one?

Does anyone know where it is?

I also managed to crack bracket weld on bottom rad fixing mount..rad now leaking..triffic....will have to get it welded back.

Simple job turns into nightmare all because a flaming fixing screw refused to come out. Never mind it can be fixed.

Help appreciated with the rad regulator please.

Darren.

Remove the black covers behind steering head also remove cover where the cables and pipes are in front of fuel filler The CDI unit and regulator are in there beside the next to the rad filler cap Mine also failed when the mouting came loose inside the box It also holds the earth for the fan( I think) If you Have the rad off look up in there it is the blue box in the middle It is a tight fit

And whilst you've got the radiator off all the wiring is easier to pull down and check for any signs of cracked insulation, or rubbed spots which will short out and leave you stranded after two laps at the furthest point from your car.

Mark

Edited by earthmover