2002 Clutch Problem - Help Needed!

firecat

Hi, I have just pulled my sherco out of the shed after not using it for a couple of years and found the clutch inoperative. The lever just pulls in with no resistance and does not operate the clutch. There is fluid in the m/cylinder but on inspection the little boot appears to have come out and the small rod the lever operates is now exposed. Not sure what it should look like, could this be the problem or is the slave cylinder a more likely suspect? Thanks in advance!

Sorted!

I pulled off the slave actuator and realised it seemed to be operating ok so figured the clutch plates were well and truly stuck. Rocked it in gear with the clutch pulled in, eventually freed off. Boy were they stuck! Might do the mod listed on here!

Now to sort out the zinging sound I get on revving!

• 2 weeks later...

Trust me the lever has no resistance! certainly not compared to any of my other bikes, it was only when I removed the slave cylinder to see if it was leaking I realised the push rod was operating and the plates were stuck! A BSA C15 clutch is a world away from the sherco's!!

My recently sold 2000 Sherco 2.9 had a VERY light clutch pull. especially compared to the Honda TLR200 Reflex that I rode getting back into trials. And what surprises me is people actually do modifications to make the clutch even easier to pull. :o

• 3 weeks later...

If my 03 Sherco sits for a month or more, same problem. I just start it, point it at some open property, pull in the clutch,

throttle just off idle (or at idle if its a 2.9). and step it into 1st gear. Ride around with the clutch lever pulled in untill the plates release.

Takes about 2-3 minutes. After she warms up, my clutch is silky smoooth.

Its my bikes way of letting me know I don't ride enough.

I tried using Synthetic oil, but it just didn't work for me as far as overall clutch action.

If my 03 Sherco sits for a month or more, same problem. I just start it, point it at some open property, pull in the clutch,

throttle just off idle (or at idle if its a 2.9). and step it into 1st gear. Ride around with the clutch lever pulled in untill the plates release.

Takes about 2-3 minutes. After she warms up, my clutch is silky smoooth.

Its my bikes way of letting me know I don't ride enough.

I tried using Synthetic oil, but it just didn't work for me as far as overall clutch action.

Put the feckin thing into 5th gear and rock it back and forth with your ass on the seat a few times till it breaks loose before starting. This usually works well, yet do not bet your life onit, as I have had them re-stick, yet not as bad.

• 11 years later...

Hi I have a sherco 200cc 02 series I kicked it up first kick driving fine then cut out wouldn’t start back back up looked at were the gear peg was and there was some pink looking oil on the enigine got spark and everything but just won’t start getting fuel and everything just not quiet sure about them first time I’ve had one 

18 hours ago, Jordrogers said:

Hi I have a sherco 200cc 02 series I kicked it up first kick driving fine then cut out wouldn’t start back back up looked at were the gear peg was and there was some pink looking oil on the enigine got spark and everything but just won’t start getting fuel and everything just not quiet sure about them first time I’ve had one 

Hello first thing is to check you have fuel flowing properly out of the petrol tap, turn it to the off position then get a jam jar etc and get ready to put it below the fuel tap when you pull the fuel tube off it to catch the fuel then turn the tap to on and reserve positions to make sure fuel flows freely , if it is slow to flow then you need to take off the fuel tank and empty it before removing the tap and cleaning that thoroughly until fuel does flow freely. Also buy a new spark plug and some feeler gauges then set the plug gap to 0.7mm , next clean ALL the wiring connectors on the bike and make sure where a bolt connects a wire to the frame that it is clean of rust/corrosion and tight. Next thing is to clean the carburettor out very thoroughly and most importantly check the height of the floats/set the float arm position to ensure you have the correct amount of fuel in the bowl , you can find out how to do this on You Tube you probably have a Dellorto PHBL BS 26mm fitted so Google that to find plenty of information about it as its the most common trials carburettor. Hopefully after doing all these things your bike will run as its supposed to if not come back here to find out what  the next step is. Good luck.

Edited by Tr1AL

19 hours ago, Jordrogers said:

Hi I have a sherco 200cc 02 series I kicked it up first kick driving fine then cut out wouldn’t start back back up looked at were the gear peg was and there was some pink looking oil ...

Take a drop of pink liquid and rub it between your fingers, is it oil or is it coolant?  I would think coolant for it to have any pink colouration.

If it is indeed coolant you need to check your water pump seals, cylinder gaskets or coolant hoses.

... do you run oil or ATF in the transmission, ATF is thin as pee, could even be pink and has low viscosity.

Edited by lemur
ATF possibility