Trials Scoring System

atomant

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, when you have a new trial, you have a page with numbers down the left and in the first column to the right after the number, you have a drop down box which looks at your database ( all your riders ) . select the rider you want and it will put in the rider / class/ machine / and club / (and anything else you want ) in the columns 3,4,5,6 etc this is done using the VLOOKUP function in excel

and continue till you have entered all your entrants..

when the trial is finished, type in all scores for each section against a number. This data is then taken and using a pre configured Pivot Table, present the data automatically without any sorting into classes or scores or whatever.. and no formatting either. 100% nice and clean every time. :rolleyes:

When I have completed it, I will send you a copy and you can be my chief tester ;)

Edited by Webmonkey

Ya'll got me playing with excell some yesterday.

I figured out what I thought was a neat trick.

In the name column type all the riders. After you do that,

highlight them and make the height .1. This hides all the names.

Then when you start to type a riders name in it will automatically

finish. I did the same for the bikes and a dropdown for the lines.

I was just playing so I know it will need some more work.

I know after the event you could sort and put the riders in order from

1st to last easy this way. I'll play some with the sorting of classes too.

I also froze the panes on the top for the catagories.

we type all the data into a spreadsheet like this (PDF) -produce this on the day and award the main cup at the end of the event, etc and let everyone see this - our esteemed president then goes away and works out a result like this (PDF)

as its mentioned above , people like to see this

as webmonkey says though if the lookup function n be programmed in right, bearing in mind you know class and names in advance from producing the programme / entries in advance then it *should* be very simple, as the last stage would be just a lookup function

obviously the already mentioned exceptions like ROOC and DNF+DNS have to factored in

the next step would be get this to do the centre recorders job, and calculate points from each result and compile a series standings - which even AMB can't do yet (see mylaps.com) !!! --> if you can achieve this im sure i could argue for the centre buying it!

all this talks makes me which i did this for my GCSE IT project when we had people who actually knew excell about .......

Jamie

Looks like it would be easy to do it that way to me.

Use excel for the names , bikes , class, loops , total score.

Sort by class then by place and it will sort it all out for you.

Copy and paste on another sheet, make a pdf.

It should be pretty quick to do that way.

Have I made this clear as mud?

Rabie, The first spreadsheet is as good as any I have seen ;)

If peeps want that much information, then its no problem to show it :D The presentation sheet your 'Esteemed President' does is a top quality piece of work. What if i said all that could be produced in less than 1 sec albeit in a slightly different format. Individual comments he has made will still need to be entered though :D

Extrapulating data for standings etc is what Excel is designed for ! this isnt a problem to do this. Dont know why no one is doing it? I will incorporate this feature in my Model. It wont be anything as sophisticated as the stuff on mylaps.com your refering to.

if you can achieve this im sure i could argue for the centre buying it!

Do you think they can afford the Fiver im charging for it? :rolleyes:

By the way, Here is a LINK to a quick excel spreadsheet I just done that shows how the VLOOKUP function works and how it simplifies the job of putting in riders names & details time and time again..

Note: Excel version I used for example was MS Office Professional 2003. If you cant open the file because you have an older version, try this link Excel version 97

Edited by Webmonkey

having worked for HSsport and seen 3 different version of the AMB system (mylaps.com) no one as yet has developed an automatic system that takes the raw data (ie the result) and can straight away give you championship standing without doing pointless stuff like the same work twice!

well, Im about to change that :D That part is going to take a little bit of work :rolleyes: but when I have finished I expect it to work like this:

When the last digit is entered for the scores, all you need to do is select the championship standings worksheet and it will be fully updated !! sweet ;)

Edited by Webmonkey

exactly that should be (in theory) how it works and that will save the centre recorder a lot of work and make the results very easily to display to everyone

once you've got the trials the challenge would be transferring it to MX and enduros (my clubs other interests and where a market undebatable exists)

enduros have yet to decide an electronic system that works best but MX have settled for the transponder system - the results goes online and is extractable as an RSS feed or off the programme itself as a txt file (CSV IIRC)

but that system costs several grand to use so must club level stuff is still done by hand where the spreadsheet could very easily be adapted.....

rabie :rolleyes:

once you've got the trials the challenge would be transferring it to MX and enduros (my clubs other interests and where a market undebatable exists)

Im just doing this for trials only, Its to make my life easier for my club and hopefully at the same time, benefit other clubs too! Im not looking to make a living with it ;) its just a hobby m8 :rolleyes:

Edited by Webmonkey

Im just doing this for trials only, Its to make my life easier for my club and hopefully at the same time, benefit other clubs too! Im not looking to make a living with it :D its just a hobby m8 ;)

I have had a re-think and am willing to look at designing and building an Excel based system for MX & Enduro also. The only thing is as I am not directly involved with these sports, I will need some guidance as to what is required. If anyone wishes to post some ideas then I will take a look :D

Edited by Webmonkey

we run an expert trial at the weekend and i got to have a quick and brief chat with our president who does all the results

turns out what he's got running at the moment is the basic spreadsheet which after inputting the all the data he does a twofold sort (I don't know how to do that) based upon class and route. he also has like Bradford do a formula running to calculate cleans, ones, etc

however the other 40 / 50 odd trials clubs use different / other systems so the aim of creating one uniform system that could instantly calculate the centre champs ASAP (and also indicate grading easily) would be different. anyway i need to chat longer with our president and a few other about it.....

round our way they actually published the enduro standing excell spreadsheet so i think they are OK

in MX (more my forte), when its not on transponders - the result is done by hand. where the vlookup function can be used is that to print the programme the details have already been typed up and all the worker out person would have to do (usually my mum!) is type the finishing order in of each race (they only work out about the first 15 of 45) et voila - full details of a) race result ;) overall on the day (over 3 races) c) heat method qualifying and d) series standing(s) (centre and club championships)

all 4 desired functions are simple(ish) working upon the same function, although the later would require inter sheet cross-referencing in a manner i have yet to get my head around yet (but undoubtedly possible)

then its got to be simple enough for my mum or a few other to use

really its just a question of playing about with the function knowing how it works - which is an issue to mull over rather than rush and generate something

i'll think about it some more......

rabie