Txt Por 300 Hard To Start?

chris falcon

Hi Guys, just got my new bike at the weekend, a 2010 TXT 300 in great nick with no real hard rinding done on it.

The problem is this... starting it is a complete pig! it has very high compression as it would have but I can kick it till I am wrecked and not even fire?

Then with the same kick later it fires up fine, once running it is brill and so much power : ) But after 40 kicks to start it 3 times is gets very boring, any ideas would be a help.

Chris

oh yes, i had exactly the same problem when i first had my 300 pro the technique is to get the kickstart on its highest position on rachet get yourself positioned high lean on tree or van, good hefty kick & away she goes ,mine only starts on level ground or facing uphill,you will soon get the hang of it

I had a CR250 crosser that would ONLY START if it was leaning slightly to the left, and funny enough my gasser is similar! If I'm leaning to the right I can be there all day as soon as I swap sides away she blows.

Trial and error sometimes, just try it different ways.

Put the bike in gear, bump it backwards until the piston prevents it from rolling (ie compression stroke, below TDC), then kick it. It will kick through much easier and faster. I hated starting mine until learning this trick. Using this method, it almost always starts first kick.

Put the bike in gear, bump it backwards until the piston prevents it from rolling (ie compression stroke, below TDC), then kick it. It will kick through much easier and faster. I hated starting mine until learning this trick. Using this method, it almost always starts first kick.

I want to add to Leanin's post. I have done this for 6 or more years IHMO saves your kicker, and energy...

Pull shifter into 2nd or 3rd, turn on everything like normal, choke-Fuel petcock. Rock vigorously back and forth with the engine going back and forth to the compression cycle as Leanin describes make sure you end at the pull backwards. Do this for fair weather (70 F-90 F here in the states) a minimum of 5 times, in cold weather I do it more, warmer I might not do as much.

The 300 fires 1st kick, every time. assuming the bike is setup right when it runs of course.

The Gas Gas kinda is "light" on the choke circuit... BTW, if you twist the throttle "at all" while or just as you kick, most times this nullifies the choke circuit, least that is what I have been told. your mileage could vary, I've started mine when it was 22F, after rocking 12 times, in 2 kicks or less many times... this technique has worked for me, since the 1st "pro" model we bought, which was a plain old 04 300 Pro. the 06, then 08 raga, 10 raga, and now the 11 & 12 we have in our livery (all 300's), this works great, if it matters, worked as well on the son's lower CC models too!...

Many thanks for the promt reply's, I will try all ideas tomorrow, last thing I naad is to be stuck down a hole on a trial and not be able to restart the beast.

Has any one with a 300 tried the low compresstion head insert? if so how did effect the bikes performance?

My last bike was a 2008 280cc, it started every time with no trouble at all and maybe not quite as much compresstion as the 300 but close.

Chris

how do you kick it over?

do you kick it with the leg?

the 300's like to go right from the top, and drop down on it with your whole body, leg locked in one position.

I would imagine he doesn't do it with his hand......... Lol just kidding

Hi Chris,

I have a 2011 300 Raga. After similar frustration to yours, I discovered that these bikes (with the Keihin carb) need throttle to start. From cold, pull the choke on and give it quarter to half throttle and it should start first kick. Same when hot except no choke. Sometimes I forget as my old Gasser was best with the throttle closed and then it won't start. Anyway, it costs you nothing to try.

Chris

Brisbane Australia.

I have to say a big thanks to all who gave me tips on this, tried the rocking back in gear technique this morning and it was perfect.

Just put the bike in 2nd gear and rock back just a little until the back wheel locked, then just pulled the clutch in and kicked the bike.

10 times in a row with 1st time start each time, also very easy to kick with little effort.

Much appreciated advise that has worked perfect, no worries about being stuck in a ditch kicking for life with no result now.

Chris

• 3 years later...

What a great forum :D

Just finished working through a recently acquired 2005 txt 300 which had been languishing in a mates garage for a few years. 

Couldn't start it whatever I tried.  Came on here, tried 2nd gear trick as above - burst into life straight away!

Thanks chaps