Electronic Ignition For Bultacpo Sherpa 325

trialsrfun

I originally placed this on the Sherco/Bultaco page but think it has got buried there.

I am thinking of getting the electronic ignition system for my 199A 350 Sherpa does anyone know,

do they fit straight on ?

what effect (if any) to the bottom end power better or worse ?

is it easy to time correctly ?

thanks t-shock 250 I have spoken to dave renham but I just wondered if anyone had tried a bike with one fitted or even added one to their own machine

I have fitted electronic to other makes (british) & some are more succesful than others

seems strange that bultaco did not fit motoplat electronic as original equipment when ossa & I think montesa added it to their trials machines and bultaco used it on their MXers.

Mr Renham has kindly sent me an electronic ignition kit to try/evaluate on my 199a 340.

Fitting is simple, remove the existing stator plate with the points etc and also the wiring loom and coil from under the tank.

Replace with new stator plate,wiring loom and coil under tank, the original flywheel is retained and used.

As for timing there is no right or wrong setting, it is a matter of preferance,

the new stator has a timing mark on it that is a starting point (it is a compromise position).

you can then retard the timing to make the engine softer at the bottom end (more grip)

or advance the timing to make it snappy off the bottom.

I can report that the system does work well, easy starting and no re- gapping of points every time the bike is used.

Once the bike is timed to your preferance, work can be done on other areas to improve performance i.e. carburation !

it has the bing carb on I have replaced the wearing bits slide/needle & jet & float needle these sweetened it up no end

is there a list of mods for the bults somewhere on this site

I seem to remember something about it from a while ago