2009 Evo Suspension Upgrade (For Heavier Riders)

myzeneye

Hi folks,

Just bought myself a 2009 beta evo 290 ..... The suspension set up as standard is obviously designed for younger ,ahem, fitter riders....

I myself am a fine figure of a man and a half at 17 stone and I'm thinking of going for the heavier rear spring upgrade as well as the heavier front spring....

Has anyone else been down this route and can you offer any advice ?

I've seen the springs f sale at around

hi mate long time no see i have the uprated rear spring on mine and it feels great unfortunately it was on since i got it so i cant compare with original what happened to the gasser ?

Ay up nelly, gassers gone, wasn't for me deffo prefer beta feel..... Went to cown quarry today for maiden run on the evo.... There's talk of goin out tomorrow as well... ;) and Sunday...... I'll be divorced by Monday !

Have to bob over and see you for a bounce on your spring then..... :)

Sounds like you need the 8.4kg spring for the rear and at least the .88kg front spring for the front. I went with the 8.2kg rear and stayed with the stock front . I weigh 13.57 stone.

I've heard of a few folk doing the rear upgrade, but don't know anyone who has done the front.... I'm happy to swap the rear, but not sure if doing the front is necessary ? Maybe a heavier fork oil would improve things....dunno......

There's a lot of decent tech boys on here, I'm sure one of them will have the answer for a div like me. .... :)

I just want the bike to be set up properly for a little fella like me (6'2" & 17stone:) )

I don't want the bike to catapult me into orbit when I hit a piece of gravel, but on the other hand I do want to be able to have a bit of travel and not bottom out.....

With the stock set up, when I stand on the bike it drops right down and has only a couple of inch travel ,maybe less, till bottoming out?..

I can swap the springs and oil etc but won't have much of a clue on setting it up......

Any advice is welcome

Thanks guys, ive established that the 09 springs are designed for an anorexic one diet......

My question is, has an one upgraded to the heavy rear AND front spring set up, and, can anyone give a report on what it's like and give any detail on settings.........?

(Nelly half answered, thank Neil)

Also, Splat shop ad says this:

"The spring maybe longer or shorter than your standard spring so it may be necessary to add to or remove some of the preload tube so the length of the spring plus the pre load tube is the same as the original spring and preload tube."

This is the part which concerns me and I'm looking for advice on....... How can I add to the pre load tube? I'm sure removing some would be easy enough .... But adding too ? With what, how..... Can I buy a longer tube ? I don't want bits of cobbled together crap in my forks...... Anyone done it, what's the answer ?

Edited by myzeneye

When I had my forks refurbed, I was offered an aluminium section to fit instead of the pre load tube it was just a nicely dressed up aluminium section of pipe with the correct internal size & slightly longer than the pre load tube to compress the original spring in order to make it a little stiffer. So I guess it is not than hard? just measure the combined length of the new spring & make a new pre load tube. Just thinking though I am no expert.

The white spring that Steve Saunders sells lifts the rear end up,but the damping is still soft.As for the forks abit more preload achieved by a15mm bigger spacer and changing the fork oil to a grade thicker should help.

when i did this upgrade, all that was needed, was to remove the wimpy springs, and install the new ones, no spacers, ect.

the cost was less then 150.00 for both springs, i changed the fork oil at that time as well, and returned the shock and fork settings to base adjustments, and adjusted them to fit my riding style.

i used honda line fork oil, only do to having a case of it..7wt.

The white spring that Steve Saunders sells lifts the rear end up,but the damping is still soft.As for the forks abit more preload achieved by a15mm bigger spacer and changing the fork oil to a grade thicker should help.

Can the oil in the rear shock be changed for a heavier grade ?

I plan on up rating front and back springs for the heavy ones.... And I also plan on putting in a heavier grade fork oil.....

As for spacers, tubes etc etc.... I'll just put the original stuff back in there with the new springs and thicker oil and see how that goes......... I will report back with the results..... :)

Now, all I need is for some shops to open!!!