Matchless Frames

rusty ken

I've been building a 350 Matchless springer from roadster parts that i've gathered up over the years, but have been looking at swapping out the frame for one made by Progressive Classic Products. Have any of you tried these or know of any that are in use? it looks to meet the current Scottish rules, but would need to work for the rest of the year as well!

Hi Andy, thats the frame I was referring to, thanks for putting in the link. I was hoping that someone might be able to share first hand experience of them before I spend the budget.

from the photo it looks ok, but its a bit light on technical spec, and no matter how it looks on paper i'd prefer to hear how it actually rides. Price looks ok for a replica frame, but it's a bit of a risk without knowing if it works.

Steve Jones is Progressive Classics and is often found at BMCA Trials either riding a Rigid AJS or Observing, if you are near the West Midlands might be worth a look and chat one Sunday morning,

trial at Bitterley, Nr Clee Hill coming Sunday.

Hi Dave, thanks for the info. Im in Ireland, so its a bit to far to meet up for a Sunday morning chat.

I've had a couple of emails to get some basic info, but would like to get an independent opinion, preferably from someone that has used one of the springer frames in anger. Otherwise the next option is to get the welder out!

• 6 months later...

Hi Guys.

Hi Barry,

Don't get side tracked ,there are parts that fit the original

Bill if you look hard enough.

OTF I am ashamed of you with your comments. this bike is original, and should be kept to this.

Barry wants to restore the bike to the original, and not Pre65 it. If you see a picture of his road bike ,you will see the standard to what he wants to replicate every part of the restoration.

I might add that Barry is not a teenager and wants to restore this machine ,in memory of his dad that was very elderly when he past away.Good luck with what you are doing Barry, and if you need advise ,you know where I am.

Regards Charlie.

Hi Guys.

Hi Barry,

Don't get side tracked ,there are parts that fit the original

Bill if you look hard enough.

OTF I am ashamed of you with your comments. this bike is original, and should be kept to this.

Barry wants to restore the bike to the original, and not Pre65 it. If you see a picture of his road bike ,you will see the standard to what he wants to replicate every part of the restoration.

I might add that Barry is not a teenager and wants to restore this machine ,in memory of his dad that was very elderly when he past away.Good luck with what you are doing Barry, and if you need advise ,you know where I am.

Regards Charlie.

?

I don't know I get slagged off before I even post now. Like being in "minority report"

Dont worry too much,you just have to keep it all in perspective - I plan to ride my TY250 on sunday,and I already feel guilty that I'm not riding my HT5 or rigid AJS.

But why ? I guess its cos other riders see me promoting old Brit cr-p and like to have a go at me when I turn up at another clubs trial with a twinshock.Be interesting to see if I bite and tell them to pi-- off, or gently explain that a day out riding a bike that just needs some fuel and oil the chain to ride is a pleasant weekend off from marking out,phone calls,AMCA duties etc....

• Like 1

Hi Guys.

You will probably know by now ? That my I Pad has taken over posting for me??????

These Bloo!! Machines are so clever now adays.That they think they can take over the World??. And enoy OTF all in one.

The post was for Pre 65 !!! And was about Barry Browns C15 T , and what I say stands for that.

The connection is that , I was looking up Progressive Classics! Steve Jones?

Well I am told that he now has The Hubbo frame jig ( Mick Mills) frame jig and is considering building a batch of these frames??? If there is interest???

Let me or Steve know!!!

Regards Charlie.

PS probably post this in Classic Steam Engines. I Pad ? I Mac world???