Honda Trials

trialsrfun

Could someone please tell me about the range of trials Hondas & what was made when

at last years Coventry Off-Road show there was a fantastic looking red 360 were they ever made for sale

I seem to remember Lejuene & Saunders riding these possibly with monoshock suspension John Shirt Jnr rode I think an RTL

but what were the RS models there was one for sale on the website recently & the mention of various Japanese trials shop versions

then there are the 2 stroke models, where do they fit into the range & when were they made

If you are interested in Honda trials bikes, get hold of a copy of "Four Stroke Finale" which covers all the fourstroke machines, up to the last of the RTL's.

I would love to get a copy of that book but the last few I have seen for sale are rather expensive to put it mildly -

Have read through the Honda section here, I think the confusion is the 2 stroke models, I presume that they were introduced after the 4 strokes & before the Montesa 311 ? never seen one in a trial though

Were any of the 360s sold as I said the one at the show was really something

Thank you everyone the websites have now joined my favourites, I had no idea that Honda had produced so many trials models but I now see the different models. Found the 2 strokes especially interesting as I previously knew very little about those.

The red 360 at the show was identical to that pictured on the Belgian webpage, what a bike that tapered downtube clearly visible & the engine just fills in all the spaces.

If only !

as far as i know two rtl360's escaped from the crusher:

lejeune's bike is owned by the man you see it riding

on the french site

((i think it's) the same bike that can be seen:

http://metalmarkers.tripod.com/hondatrials/index.html))

last year he also restored hattori's bike,

owned by the belgian honda shop dholda,

and could be seen on several shows recently

(so maybe it was this bike?)

anybody aware of others?

post-24-1116362808.jpg

I think the name of the French guy who owns one of Lejeunes 360 RTLs is Jean Calliou. He is a friend of Joel Corroy and was with him at the Scottish Pre65. You'd remember him if you saw him as he was riding around on Saturday in a dinner suit with dickie bow and in the paddock he was sporting his trademark cowboy hat.

Story is he bought 2 of Lejeunes bikes, restored them both, kept one and sold the other for as much as he paid for both of them, so ended up with a 'free' ex-works 360 RTL. Nice. Lejeune is still supposed to still own one himself but I've no idea if that is true or not.

He rides the bike in classic events, it's not just a showpiece. I've seen him on it the last couple of years at Joel Corroy's 2 day event. It's full of trick bits like fork legs, yokes, brake arms etc. all machined out of solid aluminium, or magnesium for all I know. The shocks have rose jointed mountings and the front forks are beautifully plush. Super smooth. What surprised me though is how quiet the bike is. I expected it to have quite a bark to it but it was not really any louder than most TLRs or RTLs I've heard.

Hoping to be able to get a go on it at Joel's trial this year. I'm already practising grovelling in French.

Hard to understand why the Japanese factories destroyed their works machines, worn or damaged parts & prototype items that did not work as intended yes but whole bikes especially those that had won championships it seems such a waste.

The publicity gained by keeping them on show or used occasionally would be considerable but for some of them to be out there the factories must not have bothered too much or kept very poor records of those that they produced. I wonder how many of each type they made anyway.

While messing about on the computer & doing a search on yahoo for different trials models I found a new for 2006 Honda RTL.

Quick find a picture but no not what I thought at all, it is a big (suv) pick up truck so I do not think that we shall see a new Honda trials bike with that name again.

I would love one of these....

TLM260

If I ever come accross one when I am little more flush I will have it. One question tho, are parts still available for them?

I recently came across this one and seriously thought about it for a bit...but had the same concerns about parts availability, as it was only the second one I've ever seen and they are becomming a bit "vintage"! A little TLC required but otherwise nice though.

post-24-1117141056.jpg

Edited by huntmaster