Gas Gas Kickstart

shercoben12

hi everyone.

after removing the stripped water pump bolt i have now got the clutch cover off.

heres what happened... my bike was idiling and my friends bikes were around me and mine usually cuts out after a few secnds at a standstill in gear. but it did not.i could not hear mine as the other bikes were running. so i stupidly tryed to start it and there was a clack like something had broken. the kickstart works fine and as it should. apart from theres now a bad sound like theres something floating around the clutch. now with the cover off the kickstart shaft can move.

i am guessing this is not normal. is this a big problem i need to sort out or can i run it still at a trial on saturday.

thanks

ben

Ben

Find that debris!!! dont stop until you do!

Although trials bikes generaly dont go very fast, a gearbox seizure is the very worst type of breakdown as pulling in the clutch doesnt help! Removing the chain is the only way to move the bike. In road racing, riders would break into a sweat just thinking about it!!

On less concerning subjects....Not getting the clutch cover back on... which side (left or right) appears to be resisting getting back on?

Dom

Edited by dombush

I would drain the oil out of the gearbox - maybe its in there and is on the magnet. Do not ride it until found. Replace idler gear. Sometimes the tooth gets trapped behind the clutch and you need to pull it off to check. Find it!

I've drained the oil and there's nothing in there. I'll check tommorow if there's any bits on the magnet.

How do I remove the clutch? Is it normal for the kickstart shaft to move a few inches when jiggled when the case is off. Dombush - I ve realised that a metal loop/ thing had to be aligned with a little recess to close properly.

Ben

Seriously Ben, keep going and find that debris even if it means straining the oil you removed.

Dom

Yep wanna make sure all the bits are out. A good size chunk may have become little bits, and left with the oil but you did not see them inside the oil.

Hi Ben,

The kick start shaft does wobble about quite a bit with the clutch casing off as the outer casing does most of the support. They are not the easiest of things to put back together, the spring does need to be wound into place.

Line up the water pump pin before pushing home that casing or it will do damage.

Nick.

Hi Ben,

The kick start shaft does wobble about quite a bit with the clutch casing off as the outer casing does most of the support. They are not the easiest of things to put back together, the spring does need to be wound into place.

Line up the water pump pin before pushing home that casing or it will do damage.

Nick.

One wind on the spring mate. I found it would not seat in it's hole unless the bike was layed over & the recess it sits in was full of oil, which kind of acted like a vacuum when you push the shaft in.

Just a lil tip!