Viewing My First Potential Trials Bike........

jonny6

Right , I'm one step closer to my first trials bike .... Wahey :) my cr sold this evening so I'm now ready to start the viewing process ..... Exited much lol.

So I've been scanning ebay etc and the majority of bikes seem to be miles away from me , Hundreds in fact .

So.. A lead from a local mx shop put me in contact with a local guy selling a 2001 gas gas 280 , I gave him a call and he seemed a nice guy , said the bike had new tyres , brakes , fluids , plastics , updated Sachs rear shock , new bars etc etc , only had light practise use , he's after

Jonny

the common response is buy on condition first, then age.... however, clearly this is true only up to a point.

A 2001 bike is quite old and even if perfect is quite old technology. If my memory serves me correctly a 2001 Gas gas may be a TXT rather than a TXT pro. The TXT has an older design engine and is heavier. The pro range started around 2001/2002 (check on this) and early model years did have some problems. When i bought my 2006 I spoke to gas gas themselves and they advised me to aim for a 2004 onwards. Consider the availability of spares for a 12 year old bike.

The Beta was a very popular bike and i personally think Beta's are good quality. Comparing Beta vs. Gas Gas (& Sherco) year against year is a question of taste. Be aware that there are certain years that models took significant steps forward in design. Despite the excitement dont rush, its difficult to wait but keep talking to people.

I could summarise what i think of the brands, but all will serve a beginner very well for a couple of years. By then you will know what you want / like.

So, all in all my advice is to buy the newest model of Beta / Gas Gas / Sherco that's in decent condition, then spend the time getting it just right in terms of set-up. After that practice, practice, practice.

• Like 1

The 2004/5 Rev3's did suffer very badly with faulty stators, however this is an easy (if not cheap) fix. I had two go on a brand new bike in 05.

That said, the Rev3 is probably the better bike providing the condition of the two is comparable.

A mint 2001 is better than a thrashed and abused 2005.

Remember, spending money on a rough bike soon adds up to the point where you might as well have bought a newer/better bike inthe first place.

As mentioned above, don't rush into buying the first bike that comes along. There will be another next week.

• Like 1

Cheers guys , I guess there is a few years difference between the 2 machines , I'm viewing the beta tomorrow night , can a you guys give me a few pointers as to what to look out for ? What ares of the bike are prone to wear etc ? I'm fully aware I might have to spend a few quid freshening things up on a old bike and I'm totally cool with that , but yeah the better example I get , the less ill have to spend ....

• Like 1

You never know what a bike is like from an ebay listing, some are described honestly... some not. I find that I have to be fully prepared to walk away if it's not exactly what I want. I've bought vehicles in the past and really wished that I hadn't.

For example, you can easily spend £300 on freshening things up. Then you realise that you've spent the kind of meoney that you could get a 2008 bike from a dealer with all the facilities they can offer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beta-250cc-rev-3-trials-2008-excellent-condition-/111001578939?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item19d835adbb

However, that doesn't mean the 2005 is a bad buy, it could be the bargain of the year.

Although I've never bought a bike from Richard Allen, I've known him for many years and I think if he's looked it over, it will be a good bike. I also agree with the other posts that the Beta will probably be a better bike simply because it's newer (but then I've always been a Beta man!).

Buying priorities?

Condition first then...how does it ride?

You have to swing a leg over a couple of different models to see how it fits you, no-one else can influence this factor it's very subjective .

I found the Rev3 to be front heavy and it had a strange head down 'stooped' riding position for me.

I owned a 280 2001 Gasser and it had a more comfortable 'head-up' posture but it was a wild-child (potent) yet I never had any mechanical problems with it.

Good Luck

Beta 250, better bike to start on by far, there are loads of very high minded opinions about"what's the best bike" but this was best summed up by a guy i rode with a few years ago, "a Beta will compliment a riders style without having to modify that style drastically"

This guy had gone though 2 Shercos a 200 and a 290, bought a 250 beta and his results jumped 10 places into the top 8 everywhere. There's nothing like results to tell you how a good a bike is.

the Parts backup from Lampkins/ Beta is second to none.. they know thier stuff its on the shelf and in the post same day normally.

as a poor to abismal rider i would nt ride anything else. if i thought i was any good i'd have a Beta and if was any good I'd probably have a Beta

my 2003 rev3 i ve had from virtually new.. its had new plastics new bearings on everything. i see no need to change it does more than i can ever dream of and starts every time.. i ve had it 10 years in feb..

Jonny

Took me a while to find these reviews..... 2007/8 model year but you get the idea.

gas gas range.... http://www.tmxnews.co.uk/bikes/Gas-Gas-TXT-Pro-125-250-280-300-2007-range-i108

Sherco range.... http://www.tmxnews.co.uk/bikes/Sno-stopping-Sherco-i141

Beta range..... http://www.tmxnews.co.uk/bikes/2008-Beta-trials-bikes-i159

Dom

well guys .... i went to view the beta today .. the seller was a really nice chap , mid 40's , a member of the berkhamsted motorcycle club . went round into the garden to find his nice bloke shed , you know the type , everything has its own litttle place or cubby hole , very clean and tidy . a good sign maybe ? Anyway , he got the bike out and it was much like the shed , immaculate . very clean , with a nice film of wd40 or dressing lube , the same thing i do to my bike after ive cleaned them . he made a point of showing me the engine ws completely cold before giving it a couple of slow kick threws and then a final start ing kick , it fired immediately and sounded very nice , smooth and quiet . no granuch y bearings or vibrations . just a nice pop pop pop comming from the exhaust . . cosmetically the bike is lovely , brand 06 new platics ,new rental bars , domino grips ,brand new michelin tyres , lots of S3 uprated parts . footpegs , resevoir covers etc etc . carbon bits and pieces . ...... its nice . recently had a full service using all putoline fluids . suspension felt plush , wheel bearings felt solid .

so far so good ..... test ride after bike was up to temp , again throttle resonse was very sharp , clutch felt amazing . and went threw the gears very smoothly . in my mind it was a clean soilid bike that i struggled to find fault with . so i made an offer and he accepted . the chap thew in a load of spares new filters plugs lubricants , decals , tyre pressure guages etc etc .

So.... now i have a bike . i have a 2005 Beta rev 3 and im over the moon :) i know you guys are probably thinking ive bought the first bike i went to look at but it is very nice and i really did struggle to find any kind of bad point with it . so ..

anyway . pics to follow saturday , need to join a club now and get practising , im thinking Nash mills. in hemel hempstead .

to everyone who made the effort to post with advice and information id just like to say thanks . you guys are cool , much appreciated .

jonny .