Beta Tr34 Restoration

mylogon

Hello. I'd like to start by saying this website is great. I've observed for a while, but never really been able to contribute as I'm only beginning.

I hate to have my first activity on a forum being me asking for something, but I guess it's a bit unavoidable :/

I'm stripping down the engine, in this '87 TR34, right down and I've got just about everything out and segregated, but I've got 3 bearings that just won't give. I'm wanting to get them all out to minimise contamination when it gets shot blasted and powder coated, but I just can't get these little things out. There are two very small ones - one has I/D around 15mm, the other one not much bigger and the third is just awkward... I've tried applying gentle, and not so gentle, heat to the case but I still can't get them to budge. They're just too damn small to get any sort of grip on, or next to impossible to lift out square.

Does anyone have any sort of tips to get such tiny things out?

Thanks a lot.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the reason I can't ge these bearings out is the fact that they're in a recess and can't be tapped out. They need to be pulled.

I'm not sure how to describe the type of bearing they are. They're for holding the end of a shaft, so that sits in it and has long rollers internally.

Sorry for the lack of lingo.

Thanks again

Needle rollers by the sound of it. You need to warm the case up, it will need to be quite hot, the ally case will expand at a faster rate than steel bearings, they should pop out then. Also don't get the cases shot blasted, they either need vapour, bead or soda blasting. It is a gentle process and won't pit the case just get them back to bare metal.Soda blasting wont affect the bearings if they won't come out as it just washes out after, best to get them out if you can. You need to de grease the cases before they go to be blasted.