Best Old Guy Twin Shock

scot taco

I know that because of my vast lack of knowledge I might get beat up on this one.It seems to me that the best and most reliable twin shock to grow old with would be a finely modded TY175 bored to a 200.It has to be one of the cheapest to keep up to snuff and easiest to handle as age creeps in to the bones.

The weather is rotten here,I,m waiting on parts and bored so I thought I,d try to stir up a topic. :guinness:

Old geezers can have problems getting their boot high enough to kick start some twinshocks. I can get my boot high enough even for my Cota 348, but then it takes such a big hummmph to kick it, it seems to be the hardest part of riding a trial on it. I think JonV8's electric start twinshock has a lot of merit for that reason. As far as standard bikes go, my least tiring bike to kick start and compete on is my M49 (250cc) Bultaco. It is very relaxing to ride and I guess because it is so old, it has somehow learned how to ride.

three letters.. TLR. end of topic.

Yes if you just want to spend alot of money,if you want a decent trials bike a 200 Fantic or TY175 is a far better bet.Granted the Honda's look and sound nice,but without alot of work /cost they are not in the same parish.
  • Like 1

granted the fantic 200 is half the money of a tlr and it is a better trials bike. HOWEVER the question is which to grow old with as age takes it toll.

so honda reliability.. simple rideability.. they run nice and slow and smooth they have some go to pull the larger gentleman around and they grip like something smelly on a stick. the fantic is a better bike to be competitive on no doubt but thats a different question..

What bike is that?

Think it might refer to Jons long term project Serrow.

There's a guy, Chris Millner, locally who has stuck a serrow motor in a TY250 mono and a very nice bike it is too. Lovely soft motor reminiscent of a TLR in a sweet handling chassis. Good parts availability and electric start. If you stall it just hit the button and ride on. Sure as hell saves a lot of 5's.

What bike is that?

Its a TY175 rolling chassis with an XT 225 Serow engine squeezed in. It came about because I always wondered what would have happened if Yamaha had decided to do a 4t trials Bike.I had the TY in boxes of bits,the Serow came along as payment from a garage that refused to pay me....

A while later I bit the bullet and got on with it.Trouble is I never finished it,the pre unit big bangers have really taken up my time now so its down the list a bit in projects to finish.Shame really as its almost there,runs and rides nicely apart from an undesireable gap between first and second gears.I dont have any recent pics of it,I'll take some tomorrow and post a couple on here.

I have never had the chance to ride a TLR,but I did learn to ride on a TL125. I,m guessing that the TLR is a vast improvement compared to the first TL.I bet the electric start TLR would be a pretty darn good bike and might edge out the TY in my book.I have thought that the Honda CRF150 e-button motor would be a good one to put in a TL125,but maybe a better one would be the CRF230 in the TLR.I just don,t know how good the longevity of the Chinese engines are.

A friend of mine had a 97 Fantic Section.It was great to ride,but I could never get use to the kicker going forward.It could be due to my lack of any good coordination,but that thing tried to ruin my calf every time I started it.How about one of those electric start 4T in a Fantic frame? Sure would look good and I would think it would handle good.The Serow 225 in the TY frame sounds pretty cool also.Was it a hard fit Jon V8?

brt650,sorry I made you say that! LOL.

Edited by scot taco

not gonna find many {real} TLRs in the states..less then 50 TLR 250s were shipped here, non were brought in by Honda, twice the bike as a TL250.

really dont think the TLR 250 is a old guys bike, but being an official old guy now, and i ride one. guess that makes it so.

lots of work and money will have to go into a Reflex to make it a Trials bike.

hard to beat the TY 175..reliable, easy to ride, and so on.