Best Old Guy Twin Shock

scot taco

lol.

the Euro TLR 250 is 10 times the trials bike a Reflex is, i had 2 of the TLR 250,s sold one for what i paid for both..

my TLR is one of the best twin shock trials bikes iv ever been on, i ride it hard, and push its limits, im 200 lbs, and it hauls my butt up crazy stuff without an issue.

Aww Chuck, you shouldn't have said that! Now I want to renegotiate...just kidding. I've been offered more than 1.5 times what I paid you for it on more than one occasion.

I love my TLR250, used to ride a TL125 with a 168cc big bore and steepened rake.The TLR is a different animal altogether. I'm really starting to get used to it. Changed the gearing from stock, don't remember # of teeth to the 9/43 combination which I like better. I just made a pair of footpegs that move back and down an inch without modifying the frame. This Saturday will be the first chance I get to try them.

You said there are about 50 that were brought to the US, how confident are you with that number? I happen to know where siz are including yours.

thats the day i got it...and 3 other rare honda trials bikes. im so glad that i didnt sell the one i have now, i think one of your buddies tried to trade me an OSSA for it...

once i figured out the power band, modified the pegs, and worked over the forks..she really came alive,

i know of another TLR thats not super clean, but fixable.

in this group of bikes, i also picked up a high boy framed TL250, it went to the UK, had to sell some of those rare steeds to cover some things, that came up and changed my life.

Thanks for posting the pics. You sent me some when I bought the bike, these are much better. This bike was in such nuce condition I bought the after market tank and seat from Shedworks. They are excellent repros and TLR owners have not realized they are replicas. My riding ability went up immediately, well at least my confidence as I was not worried about dropping the bike and killing the gas tank. I've also put on a Honda RTL front fender painted Flash Red and found a TLR rear fender out of Thailand. The headlight is the only original bodywork on at present. I'd like to get another Rothmans sticker to put on it; I'm fairly certain I've seen them from somewhere in the UK.

Sounds like you found some great bikes.

How'd you modify your pegs?

You will have to excuse my ignorance,but what are the differences in the TLR and a stripped down Reflex? I wouldn,t mind finding/building a Honda at some point and always figured on a Reflex because I thought they were pretty much the same as the TLR.

I have even kicked around finding a TL125 because that is what I first road as a kid.Is a reflex still a lot better than a modded TL? I don,t know what TLR,s go for,but I,m guessing a lot more than the other two and I thought they would maybe be impossible to find here.

You will have to excuse my ignorance,but what are the differences in the TLR and a stripped down Reflex? I wouldn,t mind finding/building a Honda at some point and always figured on a Reflex because I thought they were pretty much the same as the TLR.

I have even kicked around finding a TL125 because that is what I first road as a kid.Is a reflex still a lot better than a modded TL? I don,t know what TLR,s go for,but I,m guessing a lot more than the other two and I thought they would maybe be impossible to find here.

Reflex is the very poor relation to the TLR. Basically Reflex is a cost cutting exercise. Forks are much smaller diameter and flex, steel instead of alloy rims, different hubs and brakes, too high gearing, over restrictive exhaust different seat and panels etc etc.

OK a Reflex is probably a leap up from a TL but not a patch on a TLR and most of the ones I've seen over here are 200's not 250's.

Get a proper TLR 200 or 250 if you possibly can because they are so much better to start with and worth the extra money.

if your lucky enough to find a real TLR250 for sale. unrestrored...2500 to 3500 if your lucky,

if you take a Reflex down to the frame, and throw everything but the engine in the scrap pile.

and then start your project.

forks, shocks, rims, brakes, clutch, sterring head, shifter, tank, seat, pipe assembly, and so on are all TLR only,.

id rather have a high boy TL250 then a reflex,

as iv said, likely 50 or less TLR 250,s were brought into the U.S., even less HRC bikes, finding a real one is tough, when i sold the crispy one pictured, i had alot of bids and wanters...i wanted to keep it in the states, and felt it needed to go to someone that would ride it and compete on it, i actually had the one i have up for sale for a while...and glad i pulled it and kept it.. its one of my favs..and gets lots of comments when ever i ride...

hard to get hop up mods for the TLR 250.. some ATC and ATV hop up mods will work..

im lucky, mine does what i need it to just fine bone stock, cept a clutch mod..

i modified CRF after market pegs, cut them off, and moved them down and back as far as they would go, didnt have to mess up the frame.

Wess pipe as you can see, i used a XR250R clutch and springs, with an easy pull lever on the case.. one finger works easy.

by the way...i would love to have you come ride with us here this year Scott.,, our mountain west ITSA is really taking off.

i pushed a new air cooled single shock class this year..so i wont ride the Honda with ITSA, and will jump on a TR34 Beta..and ride the Honda on the TS line with the NATC nationals.

im glad you like the TLR...happy that its being enjoyed, and played with...

Edited by chuckindenver

I know some guys who ride the MAVT series who have modded Reflex's that do very well riding our 1 and 2 lin eon them. Some guys have done little mods, carb, chain & sprocket combos, exhaust. Others have done major mods of foot peg positions, pumper carbs and TLR paint schemes. They can be a competitive bike. Having ridden my TL125 with a 168cc big bore, steepened fork rake and alloy bash plate with removed lower frame I feel the biggest difference to a Reflex is the suspension. Granted the Reflex forks are not great but they are better than a TL and the laid down rear shocks are much better. I also have to say that my riding posture neede to change on the TLR250. if I don't bend my knees the bike does not handle well. The TL is more forgiving to those of us who resist bending our knees.

Chuck,

Can you post pics of your footpegs?

I talked with an old friend in Boulder and maybe in CO this summer. I'll let you know; where can I find dates and locations for your events, maybe we can get together.

P.S. I've ridden a TL250 Hiboy and they are really nice!

Edited by tlrider
  • Like 1

I check out the MAVT site now and then just to see whats going on and to look at what is forsale.It seems that you guys have a really good series out there for vintage trials.I wish I lived a little closer! Thanks for the info on what you have done to the little TL.If I find one I was thinking the same way for mods with maybe a TY 250 front end.Is a big bore kit hard to find for those?

by the way...i would love to have you come ride with us here this year Scott.,, our mountain west ITSA is really taking off.

i pushed a new air cooled single shock class this year..so i wont ride the Honda with ITSA, and will jump on a TR34 Beta..and ride the Honda on the TS line with the NATC nationals.

im glad you like the TLR...happy that its being enjoyed, and played with...

You are still bringing it to San Ysidro in a couple of weeks, aren't you?