Best Old Guy Twin Shock

scot taco

post-3125-0-82000700-1361390214_thumb.jpgJump started the XTY225 today and had a thrash round on it,The battery was low and unfortunately it doesnt have a kickstart.Feels very small and quick steering after the HT5 and my rigid AJS.

The engine is a real treat,virtually impossible to stall and has a good deal more poke than any TLR200 or 250 I have ever ridden.(I had a brand new TLR250 in Feb 86,it was a big disappointment,both in riding and reliabilty) Its only problem is the wide gap between first and second gear,which I would like to change.I've asked around if anyone knows what other Yam singles might have suitable cogs that would fit - nobody seems to know.Anyway I took a couple of pics while I was playing,I left the engine running all the time as I didnt want to end up pushing it.

• Like 5

The TY is very nice and forgiving to ride especially in classic sections. Should be easy to find in the US too.

IF there is time left and you like too to wrench on the bike there are a lot of improvements possible, so the bike can and will grow in terms of capability and weight reducting likewise you improve your riding, (200cc engine, more stable fork, better suspension rear, ...).

As already beeing stated the Fantic 200 is another real classic trials bike to take in consideration in my personal view, the power output and frame layout is very good for classic trials. The 240cc Fantic in comparison to the 200cc give's you a sureplus of power that you only need when you are an experienced rider.

For long distance trials or riding in the Alpes / likewise Rocky Mountains, (I only know the Rocky's in Colorade southwest from Denver) you need more grunt then the 175cc can deliver also the 200cc is not so optimal. Here the mentioned 240 or the 250cc TLR are much better but expensier and I believe not so easy to find in the US. (You loose some power when over 2500m ... and there bigger displacement bikes still have reserves whereas small displacements then "hardly can breath").

But as you are in the midwest the altitude isn't so high where you ride? The 175cc Yamaha should please you I believe.

I always loved the TY but this something special. Cracking build, I think I NEED one!!!

Thank you - but I wouldnt say its special - special needs perhaps ! It was just an idea I had and the parts came along for me to do it for very little cost.The electric start is nice,but it does add weight,and my particular engine does not have a kickstart.Sorting out the wiring was a bit of a game as I couldnt find a diagram to match the donor Serow.I wonder if a production 4T Yam would have looked anything like it if they had done it.I think they would have sold some,just as an alternative to Honda - which I for one didnt really get on with.(I had both TLR and RTL 250's)

There isnt that much left to do,there are a couple of glaring faults I've made,but nothing too bad.I need to make up a bash plate and sort out the area behind the air filter/battery.Then its a strip down to paint the frame etc.I'm going to use it for marking out our Bath Classic trials and maybe do the odd Golden Valley or Somerton Classic trial on it.Not much though,I get so much stick if I dont ride a pre unit big banger its easier to just leave the twinshock bikes at home....

PS, Tony 27, I think the answer may be that the Scorpa's do have a bit of a gap,on sunday a mate is coming along with his Scorpa 125 so I'll bag a go on that,see what its like.

Edited by jon v8
  • Like 1

lol.

the Euro TLR 250 is 10 times the trials bike a Reflex is, i had 2 of the TLR 250,s sold one for what i paid for both..

my TLR is one of the best twin shock trials bikes iv ever been on, i ride it hard, and push its limits, im 200 lbs, and it hauls my butt up crazy stuff without an issue.

lol.

the Euro TLR 250 is 10 times the trials bike a Reflex is, i had 2 of the TLR 250,s sold one for what i paid for both..

my TLR is one of the best twin shock trials bikes iv ever been on, i ride it hard, and push its limits, im 200 lbs, and it hauls my butt up crazy stuff without an issue.

Technical and in weight the TLR is much better as the Reflex, but as I have read was the last winner of twinshock classic trials in one of the US competition series a man on a Honda Reflex. He even has his own threat about the bike in advrider called: Fun with Outright Junk

This confirms the thesis that it is not so very important which bike you ride but in which shape the rider is.

@Scot Taco:

The Yamaha TY 250 is the more adult counterpart to the 175cc model. It will please you too I think.thumb.gif

Since a starter is in the '' conversation '' one guy who come to some of our competitions in Quebec used a 125 ( I think ) 4 stroke Yam in a frame he made himself and it sure look like it's a good ride.

http://s1065.beta.photobucket.com/user/guy532/media/IMG_1318_zpsd459fb88.jpg.html#/user/guy532/media/IMG_1318_zpsd459fb88.jpg.html?&_suid=136164762632306722274686250507

Guy

iv rode both the TY 250 and the TY 175.

the 175 is hands down a better trials bike..

ride one..then tell us what you think.

for a long time i never understood the attraction to the TY175s...figured the 250 had more power ect..

i rode a 175...i was wrong...i understand it now.. i ride at 9,000feet and up.. and the 175 has more then enough grunt to pull my big butt anyplace i need it.. and then some.

everyone i know that for years rode a 250, once they ride the 175, they soon own one.

lol.

Can't argue with that. U.S. spec Reflex's are pigs!!! :agreed:

Technical and in weight the TLR is much better as the Reflex, but as I have read was the last winner of twinshock classic trials in one of the US competition series a man on a Honda Reflex. He even has his own threat about the bike in advrider called: Fun with Outright Junk

This confirms the thesis that it is not so very important which bike you ride but in which shape the rider is.

Wow, thanks. I'm in terrible shape, actually. Blame it on not enough excercise, and too much cheap mexican beer (Tecate, please!). OJ (the bike's name, Outright Junk, born from the guy I got one of the pile of Reflex parts from years ago. Read all about it here - http://www.advrider....t=Outright Junk ) is in semi-retirement now. Too many other projects on the front burner, and I wanted to compete on my 4RT this year (although Lineaway might talk me into another few rounds of Twinshock competition soon!!).

Point being, if I could have started out with a genuine TLR 250 I would have been much happier. One, it is (from what I've heard multiple times from multiple "in the know" folks) a much superior Trials bike than the "trials style trail plodder" Reflex is. Two......well, the TLR 250 just looks so damn cool compared to the Reflex. OJ did serve it's purpose well. 3 piles of parts destined for the landfill (along with some Redneck mods) wound up as a polished turd out here in the wild, wild west. A shot of OJ at it's last competition in Roswell, NM last November (yeah, yeah, aliens, UFO's, shaddap, that Roswell) -

Roswell2012006.jpg

Roswell2012005.jpg

Oh yeah, one more thing. TY80's rule!!!

Roswell2012058.jpg

Roswell2012070.jpg

:irish:

Edited by brewtus

lots of beer cans were harmed during the TY80 event...

ill let you play on my TLR 250...then youll understand the difference from a reflex and TLR250.

how does that finga score??is that a juan? or a Tree?

Bring that TLR to SanYo next month. I'd love to ride it! B)

That finga score is an ADV Rider greeting. It's also letting the photographer (shown in the next pic) know that I was outta beer..... :beer:

BTW, TY80's really do rule. Just ask this young man...

SmagicalSanYo002_zpsc9724490.jpg

SmagicalSanYo013_zpse540c442.jpg

Or this young man, NATC Expert Nathan Hassler -

SmagicalSanYo021_zpsbf053efa.jpg

SmagicalSanYo022_zps49179883.jpg

Thanks to P.S. for letting me take pics of him doing silly stuff on our mini-bike. Wish I'd have taken better photos.

OK hijack over. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.....

Edited by brewtus
  • Like 2