Gas Gas Pro New Clutch Plates?

shercoben12

Hi

My friends bike has an issue with the clutch i think it need new clutch plates? Here are the symptons.... When changing up to 4 th gear and higher the revs go down as normal but when you try to go faster the revs get higher and you don't get faster. Also when dumping the clutch lever out on.a standstill the bike only beggins to move a fraction of a second later.

The lever is also extremely light to pull on I think the previous owner must have modded it. And you let the lever out all most all the way and the clutch only engages in the last cm of lever travel.

( I don't know if that has something to do with it)?

He uses gro 75w gearbox oil as reccomended by Gas Gas.

I think he will new clutch plates?

What do you Guys think?

Hey Ben,

Seriously Lineaway is right about everything so far, in our experience, the clutches dont go "bad" normally, so 1st thing we'd do is check all of these things in order. 1st being that the lever has a tiny free play before the actual plunger (behind the rubber boot) moves, 2 that the plunger behind the boot, is coming to rest on the C-Clip, if it doesnt then the clutch slave is NOT being let off the last little bit. Then when you think that is all good, you take the side case off, with bike laid on side of course, and using a slide caliper measuring device, you measure up how high the fingers are above the inside of the basket back wall (not where the screw holds clutch on shaft, but beside it). if it is about 19.5 mm MAXIMUM height, after that they slip all the time because the levers cannot rais that HIGH with cover on...

The MOVIE I'll link to, will explain and give you the exact measurements. you would remove the thicker of the plates, you deside this with same tool measuring thickness, the ones without padding, but NOT the bottom plate! thinner one lower the fingers. I have 5 of 5 times, had to do the opposite, put in thicker plates, to get fingers close to Snells max settings, makes clutch pull easier and "slower"...

Here is the link to the movie that shows you how to fix clutch to Specs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjoj7n74G0s&list=PL391F2719952C8DFB

part1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0adW9BsAN4

part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=336BDbcZEMM

Part 3

Reason for several movies I believe because of updates, watch them all, then watch the main one you feel helps you the most...

Good luck

Edited by sting32

what year bike? in 2006 they changed the 'spring rate" you might say, of that "bellville spring" doesn't look like a spring... BIKES BUILT BEFORE --> 2006, it is easier to pull just by updating the spring. I think it costs about $15 for the spring, depends on shipping I guess.

not sure what else you can do to make it easier, other than the closer to 19mm the easier the "pull" is (has to do with leverage I understand). Anything over 19 though, you risk slipping, because when cover is on, the fingers can ONLY raise to 19.5 (that would be depending on which gasket you use as well on the case). the paper cheapy ones, are really thin.

Edited by sting32