2T Materials And Technology Vs Maintenance

brenin

Hi All,

I have raced both 125 and 250 2T trackbikes in the past. A honda RS125 produces about 44bhp from its 125cc and the 250 (which is pretty much 2x 125s on the same crank) makes about 85bhp. Despite running high octane blue AVGAS and Castrol 747 oil, i would change piston rings after every meeting, and piston kit every 3 outings. ( I wasnt married at the time!). This helicopter style maintenance was the only way to not blow your motor, and although Ive been out of racing for a few years i cant think that racers do anything different currently, even with current materials advances.

I appreciate that a trials bike doesnt run WOT for anything like the percentage of time that my track bikes did, and also that the specific power output is a lot lower.

So, I was wondering when i should swap a piston ring or a top end service in my Beta Rev3 250 08. Does anyone have any experience of motor strip after several years?

regards

Ian

I always go by the old adage that '' If it ain't broke don't fix it ' My Beamish Suzuki is over 30 years old and is still on standard size piston although I have had to fit a couple of new ones over the last 10 years due to disintegration problems but it's still not overly smoky and has plenty power. So unless you are worried about performance etc I would just leave it

• Like 1

Unless its been under maintained air filter wise the motor will last and last, try a wet and dry comp test if you want and also pop the head pipe and look at the piston skirt

Probably unless its a real high miler there's nothing much to do in there

Edited by 0007

Unless its been under maintained air filter wise the motor will last and last, try a wet and dry comp test if you want and also pop the head pipe and look at the piston skirt

Probably unless its a real high miler there's nothing much to do in there

My thoughts also. In normal hands (most of us) a Trials engine is really understressed and with any care, they will go for years without major work. Regular maintenance is the key and go over all the fasteners now and then (like the head if you want the o-rings to last) and you'll be in good shape. I've done the roadracing stuff and there is little comparison as to when to replace parts.

Your bike is 4 or 5 years old I'd say you should lift the barrel and check the piston and rings. Put new rings in. Trials boys tend to neglect air filters so check piston skirts for gouging and wear. Don't be surprised if it is fine.

Polish the top of the piston and cylinder head to a shine for a clean running bike. Shush some petrol through the exhaust to rid the bike of excess oil.

Mate, trials is all about traction. Get the shock serviced and put some fresh oil in the forks... You will feel a huge payback!!

• 2 weeks later...