Is This Alright?

shercoben12

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to oil, I always like to use the right stuff and the best I can get. Oil doesn't only lubricate but I believe it also cools to some certain extent (Someone could probably clarify that). The way I look at it is, the difference between a rubbish oil (few quid) or a top of the range oil (10 quid or so) It's going to be a lot cheaper in the long run than to replace say a Barrel and piston which has worn from using poor quality oil mixed with your fuel. I just worry too much though! haha

There will never be a consensus on oils on a web forum

Every manufacturer says not to use energy conserving automotive oils, (you could make a career out of studying the properties of oil)

But every time it comes up people say "I use it all the time"

Personally, I trust the engineers

BTW, non energy conserving oils in a trials bike trans is fine, I wouldn't use it in a 4 stroke though

Been alot of posts on this subject,

You can use 10/40w light gear oil but not synthetic.

The following is cut + pasted from the GG tech bulletin; Not from the manual but bear in mind it is just recommendation !

Transmission oil:

Recommend type: ATF DEXRON III

Alternatives:

NOTE: GASGAS Spain recommends only Dexron III automatic transmission oil at this time.

Oil type warning:

DO NOT USE #12378508 GM auto-trac II (blue) oil

Never use synthetic oil in the transmission~clutch. The synthetic oils are “stickier” and this adhesion tendency, when applied to the areas between the clutch plates contribute to excessive clutch drag. Some brands of synthetic oil will chemically react when mixed with water, (from creeks, rain, or waterpump seal leakage). This reaction alters the pH factor of the oil. This acidic condition accelerates corrosion of steel engine parts, and loosens the bond of the clutch fiber plate material. Please do not second-guess this information. We have twelve years of experience with the Herbringer/Adige brand clutch plate materials, and we are in direct contact with the technical department at GASGAS Spain.

gasgas uk recommends putoline light gear oil and that's synthetic and they dont have any problems and neither do i.

i was told by my dealer that gasgas and ossa recommend gro extreme. so i think that information was from a while back.

Been alot of posts on this subject,

You can use 10/40w light gear oil but not synthetic.

The following is cut + pasted from the GG tech bulletin; Not from the manual but bear in mind it is just recommendation !

Transmission oil:

Recommend type: ATF DEXRON III

Alternatives:

NOTE: GASGAS Spain recommends only Dexron III automatic transmission oil at this time.

Oil type warning:

DO NOT USE #12378508 GM auto-trac II (blue) oil

Never use synthetic oil in the transmission~clutch. The synthetic oils are “stickier” and this adhesion tendency, when applied to the areas between the clutch plates contribute to excessive clutch drag. Some brands of synthetic oil will chemically react when mixed with water, (from creeks, rain, or waterpump seal leakage). This reaction alters the pH factor of the oil. This acidic condition accelerates corrosion of steel engine parts, and loosens the bond of the clutch fiber plate material. Please do not second-guess this information. We have twelve years of experience with the Herbringer/Adige brand clutch plate materials, and we are in direct contact with the technical department at GASGAS Spain.

DEXRON III is synthetic (DEXRON II is mineral)

So the above seems a bit of a Contradiction?

Edited by suzuki250