Pro Shifting Problem - Need Help

seavoyage

Need - Help

2002 TXT Pro 200 with clutch upgraded to 2004.

I often have difficulty shifting down from 2nd to 1st gear. Clutch is fine 1st to 6th and back down, but I often cannot shift into 1st. Running Dexron III ATF.

We first suspected damage to shifter mechanism, took apart to inspect, no issues. Replaced OEM shifter with a notched lever as 'breakaway insurance.'

I've seen this video, but it doesn't describe my situation: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/2Ply/media/Gas%20Gas%20300%20Transmission%20Repair/GG-GearProblem.mp4.html

Next step is to split the cases: replace shift linkage (part #14) and maybe shift fork?

CS001449.jpg

Did you watch the part of the video to adjust the shift cam?

Thanks - I have viewed Jim Snell's video. I opened the clutch cover and inspected the shift cam; shifts up and down absolutely fine. Splitting the cases is still in my comfort zone, I just did my Gasser EC300.

When the engine is running, and warmed up: shift up from 1st to 2nd is no problem, no false neutrals, but frequently cannot shift from higher gears back to 1st. Kill switch and dead engine: shifts right back into 1st. and neutral.

It may shift fine, but did you see the part of adjusting the cam? It was quite a problem on the `02`s. If you split the cases it is very easy to check the forks and shaft. The `02 had a very weak shift drum that you might consider replacing.

I think you have to make sure the cam "centering spring" adjustment it perfect, and it is easy to do, just need relatively quite and a couple of minutes. I had trouble shifting new bikes a couple times, we do that adjustment and all is good.

Wont have to be a bent fork either, I wont say it couldn't be.... but the part in picture show in OP as parts 12,13,14 can get broken or bent, I have had that happen more than once on older bikes. Plus this diagram is for a newer bike, I think in 06 when they finally put the part (#11 referred to as a 'fuse' or fusible link?, or sacrificial part that breaks when too much pressure on shift lever) I had to fix that 1 times on my Son's bike, he clipped a stump trying to save a clean... His toe was more of a problem, lol :popcorn:

Anywho, if the 12.13.14. assembly gets bent like I have seen it happen, which means the drum wont turn far enough, and the drum that moves the forks...

It will be a bent fork you will need to split crankcases when you spin gearbox look for a wobble on forks .That was problem with mine cheers.

:agreed: Sometime you need a sheet of glass (or an engineers marking-out table) to lie the forks on to spot the distortion.

Actually the proper way to check the shift forks is to remove them and the shaft. Put them on the shaft bachwards and they should seat exactly flush to each other. (lay flat to each other) If that came out sounding right?

• Like 1