Tick Over?

scot taco

"tick over" = idle and is normally set by the idle screw on the side of the carb which raises the slide in the same way that your car idles at around 500-700 rpm when your foot is not on the throttle pedal. On 70's twinshocks which for the most part came with heavy flywheels the idle could be set very, very low. Many of the top riders of the day had ZERO "tick over" and just a smidge of slack in the throttle cable so they could control the engine at ultra slow speeds without touching that clutch thing!

Tony

• Like 1

Most of the better riders have the bike set with no tick over / idle whatever, BTW idle over here is a word we use when referring to people on welfare benefits :popcorn: , whilst lesser lights have it set to a slow tick over. I don't like having a two stroke tick over cos I feel it causes the bike to gas up or sometimes oil the plug but I do set my bike to have a slow tick over firstly because i'm a crap rider but also I find it helps on descents and tight turns to stop the motor stalling. I do use the clutch a lot and as I said I am a crap rider so don't necessarily follow my example but try it for yourself and see which you prefer.

Most of the better riders have the bike set with no tick over / idle whatever, BTW idle over here is a word we use when referring to people on welfare benefits :popcorn: , whilst lesser lights have it set to a slow tick over. I don't like having a two stroke tick over cos I feel it causes the bike to gas up or sometimes oil the plug but I do set my bike to have a slow tick over firstly because i'm a crap rider but also I find it helps on descents and tight turns to stop the motor stalling. I do use the clutch a lot and as I said I am a crap rider so don't necessarily follow my example but try it for yourself and see which you prefer.

Non of the better riders ever wore gloves, or a helmet, because you couldn't feel/hear the engine either !!!!!!

If the motor is set like he is just not reaching the idle speed it's easier ride very tight curves without using the clutch.

If the engine still can ignite or "increases" speed while you try to take the turn whilst being at the steering stop this can bring you out of the eem of the balance, provided you drive the old style without the hand on the clutch.

Today we are wise just one hand on the clutch and little slip and it works also with an idling engine. Times have changed ...

They don't appear to in the BMCA even now. I've no idea how they get away with that nowadays.

Wow, flat caps, woolie hats...or just hair, reminds me of trials in the '70's. I was one of the woolie hat brigade back then, never bumped my head....wear a helmet now and would have had concusion a few times as smacked my swede HARD on overhead branches, I can only think the sections were more 'open' back in the day.

• Like 1