What Gearbox Oil '03 280 Txt Pro

mpower

Hi guys ,

I'm suffering with the usual clutch drag and very difficult to find neutral especially from cold. Haven't had the bike long so want to give it all fresh changes. It's recently had new clutch plates before I bought it too.

Done a little research and so far I can make out that ATF dextron 3 is what Gas Gas recommend?

What oil do you use in yours and any tips to reduce the drag would be great!

Thanks in advance

Hi guys ,

I'm suffering with the usual clutch drag and very difficult to find neutral especially from cold. Haven't had the bike long so want to give it all fresh changes. It's recently had new clutch plates before I bought it too.

Done a little research and so far I can make out that ATF dextron 3 is what Gas Gas recommend?

What oil do you use in yours and any tips to reduce the drag would be great!

Thanks in advance

Find out what your buddies use, I like 10w/30 yamalube in mine, I use 370-375 cc's (which equals half a sight glass full, when bike is TIRES on ground, level ground held as perpendicular to the ground when checking.)

Facts is: Clutches drag on gasgas, when you think about it, and get used to it, you will modify how you approach getting neutral, or you will get a different brand of bike, as so many want neutral more than the rest of the bike's abilities... !

I like the clutch drag, I use it all the time in sections honestly, and it isnt that much drag when things are setup right. Youtube can show you how things have/should be setup, including lever adjustment. if the bike is older than 06, get the 06 clutch spring, it is easier to pull.

as far as routine/your approach to finding neutral here are 3 tips I use every riding day...

1 find neutral when engine is off,

or 2 before you come to a stop,

or lastly by hand (right hand on clutch, pull up with your left hand is easy enough to find neutral 4 of 5 times, 5 of 5 with practice and good "muscle control"...

Edited by sting32

Thanks for the replies!

At the moment it does not bother me much I'm just hoping to improve it a little, and like you say it's one of those things you adapt to when riding but being a beginner I could do without it so much.

I've found out from the previous owner now that he was using 10w/40 so this could be a little thick.

As I have some dextron 3 available I'm going to try this, and experiment with the different filling quantities.

I'm assuming that the level Is ok as long as you can see it In the glass eye? Would you happen to know what the 'cc' is when it's at the bottom and top of the eye just for some references.

Thanks guys

mpower,

I don't think the difference between 10w/30 10w/40 make much difference, but I like the "semi Synthetic" properties of the yamalube, I ran 0w/30 of it for a while, like it the best, but the last few bottles I have in shop are 10w/30 and I didn't notice the difference when riding.

TO me it is probably volume. try less than 400cc (TRIALS RIDING ONLY< NOT DIRTBIKING) I do 375cc. I cant tell you how much difference it makes, I dont believe I have ever had 400cc in my PRO models, since the guy that puts ours together out of the crate pretty much told me to do it this way.

I know some were scaring the BeetleJuice out of everyone about Synthetics, least the Yamalube hasn't been an issue for me or my friends...

But dont believe I had any issues from autotrak2 either.