Newbie Wanting To Try Vintage Trials

ss426a

hey guys just picked up this Cota 349 i have never rode trials before been wanting too thought i could bang around in a vintage class bike needs new tires any input ,also wanting to set up a practice place on my propertey any tips ? i live in Kentucky i know i will have to travel some Thanks <><

post-18138-0-19314000-1368073786_thumb.jpg

Sorry to disagree bestrcpilot, but it looks very much like the first model 349 to me. The clues are the truncated frame tubes behind the seat, the muffler and the lack of frame tubes under the motor. The tank and seat appear correct for that model 349

any issues i need to be on the look out for on this model i got it off the guy that bought it new its been taken good care of plastic showing its age though he could not remember if it was a 79 or 80 model

get going on the leg exercises so you will be able to start it when required :)

more seriously there is nothing in particular to look out for mechanically

If it still has the original swingarm it will be a relatively long trials bike. Later model 349s and the 348s have a shorter swingarm and wheelbase.

If it has the triple clamps that have the tubes very close together, it will be relatively easy to put a twist in the front end in small incidents, compared with other twinshock trials bikes

You are lucky having that front wheel because the alternative front hub on 349s is fragile

Unless you support the carby by using an airbox or some other way to hold it up, the rubber tube between the carby and cylinder will not last long

Roll your handlebars forward(Look at pics of modern bikes,works for vintage too)

raise your levers up close to horizontal.

ride with one finger on clutch,one finger on front brake at all times,even if you can't pull either with one finger,just get used to it.

Trials Inc. Is having quite a few vintage events this year,but vintage are welcome at all events,just ride the Novice(easiest) line.

Dunlop Trials tires are cheapest real trials tires,don't use Pirelli,actually a dualsport or something tire.

You really will need a airbox,otherwise you will ingest water,water is common at trials events.

If you are anywhere near Indiana you are welcome to come up and ride with us!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info I am checking all these links and I have to get tires does anybody know where I might find a air box for it also it has fox shocks on back I weigh 260 6'3"(is there a circus bear class Lol) what would be a good starting point for oil weight and air psi in the forks and shocks thanks again for the help

no air...those are bleeders..you let air out...

many vintage riders are old fat guys...lol., so youll fit right in with us grey beards..

im 6"2, 200...down from 235

do yourself a favor...spend more then 65.00 each on tires.

Dunlop 803s work well on vintage bikes.

light oil, 7wt, is what i use...a few vintage montesa places you can get parts for just coogle them up, or watch fleabay.

dont leave fuel in the tank, when your not riding...todays wanna be gas will eat the tank inside out, it will start to seep and leak if you do.

Edited by chuckindenver
  • Like 1